CHAPTER 9

Three more days had passed, and Haneed still suffered from delusions. His behavior remained strangely unusual, and the worst part was his detachment from work and even from me. I knew these were all symptoms of his psychosis, yet I couldn't fathom why he avoided me like a bad omen.

I resolved to visit Hajiya, Haneed's mother, seeking advice and insights on how to help my husband overcome his condition. Around 2 pm, I left home without Haneed's permission, as he seemed unresponsive to any attempts to communicate.

Upon arriving at my mother-in-law's house, the maids promptly ushered me into the sitting room. Within minutes, Hajiya descended the stairs, appearing visibly surprised to see me. I knelt in respect and greeted her, after which she gestured for me to take a seat. She inquired about my well-being and whether everything was alright.

After a moment of silence, I gathered my thoughts, preparing to explain the situation. Closing my eyes, I felt tears streaming down my cheeks. "Subhanalillahi," Hajiya exclaimed, acknowledging the tears before I wiped them away.

She placed a comforting hand on my back, speaking gently to console me. "Hajiya," I began, and her full attention shifted to my words. "Haneed is in need of help. He's experiencing a strange condition that I can't fully comprehend. He avoids talking to me and won't let me come close. It's been three days, and he hasn't left the room, murmuring 'leave me alone' whenever I try to bring him food. He refuses to come to the dining room as well. I understand he's going through a psychotic episode, but..." Hajiya interrupted me, urging me to pause.

Though I believed discussing Haneed's psychosis was natural, Hajiya's response suggested otherwise. She motioned for me to remain silent and motioned for me to follow her upstairs, which I did.

As we reached her room, she had me sit down and locked the door, making me uneasy. Taking my right hand in hers, she met my gaze as if about to reveal a profound secret.

"Rafiahtu," she began softly, "promise me that what I'm about to share remains between us."

Although startled, I managed to inquire why she was entrusting me with sensitive information. She calmed me down, emphasizing her trust in me as Haneed's wife.

Hajiya continued, "Haneed's father and I both attended Goethe University in Frankfurt, where we met and developed a close bond. He was the only other African student in our class, which brought us together. Gradually, I found myself falling in love with his unique qualities, despite his relationship with a girl named 'Esma' from Tunisia. She was his girlfriend, though not in the same class. As time passed, I withdrew due to my growing affection and his engagement to Esma."

Hajiya revealed that later they discovered Esma had a psychotic disorder. However, Esma's parents supported the marriage, and she bore two children, Ameenu and Haneed. Upon informing her relatives about the marriage, her Tunisian uncles intervened, forcibly taking her away, leaving the children behind. Eventually, Hajiya married Haneed's father and became a mother to the children.

Hajiya concluded, "Alhaji concealed his children's existence from his parents. It was only after our marriage that he revealed his secret. His parents were against his marriage to Esma, and he wanted to protect his children. That's why I'm telling you, Rafiahtu, because you deserve to know."