CHAPTER 172

Lumbering out of bed, Lexi glanced at the clock. Jason and Mark were flying home from Italy that day. They had completed their first Continental date at San Siro in Italy. It had gone well, though Jason had remarked that the fans weren't as enthusiastic as the British ones. Lexi had one more week at work and then thankfully she was finished and would be going on Maternity leave. She had insisted that she would meet him at Gatwick, but was regretting her offer. She was knackered. What with work and the baby keeping her awake at night kicking constantly. Rubbing her back, she thought to herself that she couldn't wait for the baby to be born - partly because she wanted to at long last hold it in her arms and partly because she was so uncomfortable - she was starting to feel like a beached whale. She instantly felt guilty for wanting the baby to arrive, despite her obvious discomfort the last thing she wanted was for Jason to be away touring and her back in the UK in labour without him. More than anything, she wanted him there holding her hand even if he did start wittering on about whale music and incense sticks.

An hour later she was pulling onto Mark & Katrina's drive-way in Hampstead. Katrina had given birth to their baby Max a few days ago - luckily she'd managed to time it on a night that the lads weren't performing. Knocking on the door, she waited patiently until she heard foot-steps padding down the hallway. Katrina opened the door with a huge grin, baby Max curled up in her arms as she did so. 'Hi Lexi. Great to see you. Come on in.'

Lexi followed her in, noticing that the house was immaculate despite the fact that Katrina had only just had a baby. 'I'll stick the kettle on to make us both a cuppa,' she called out, heading into the kitchen as Katrina disappeared into the lounge.

'Sorry I look like shit.' Katrina gestured at her clothes as Lexi entered the room with their coffees,' 'I've got my hands full with Max.'

'Congratulations!' Lexi said, giving her a big hug and handing her the card and flowers which were tucked under her arm. 'And you don't look like shit!' she reassured her, noticing that she looked great.

'Thanks Lex. It's not easy at the mo, what with Markie being out of the country,' she remarked, taking a sip of her coffee whilst simultaneously fiddling with her top, as Max had started to cry for a feed.

Lexi and Katrina spent an hour catching up and making small-talk and Lexi having a few cuddles with Max, before she headed off to the airport to pick up Jason and Mark - she'd offered to drop Mark back to the house to make things easier for Katrina.

'So, how's Junior?' Jason asked, kissing her softly on the lips the minute that Mark disappeared in the house.

'Active.' Lexi remarked,' he hasn't stopped kicking all night. I hardly got a wink of sleep.'

'You're still calling it a him, then?' Jason shook his head at her. 'You are going to get such a shock if it hasn't got a willy y'know.'

Lexi laughed. 'Yeah, I am going to get a shock. I just hope I can be as good at it as Katrina. I'm starting to get a bit worried,' she laughed slightly self-consciously.

'You'll be fine luv. From what I gather it's an inate quality us humans have. We adapt and muddle through, until eventually it feels like second nature. Katrina's already been there around three years ago with Lottie. I bet if you ask her she was just as worried as you, first time around,' Jason said sensibly. He knew Lexi would make a fantastic mum and he hoped he'd be a good father too.

They went for lunch at a new restaurant in Kensington High Street, followed by their last Ante-natal class. They'd had to change from their usual evening class to an afternoon one at a different location to fit in with Jason being on tour. Firstly, they had a hospital visit to look around the Maternity unit at their local hospital. This was then followed by a birth tape which the midwife gave them the option of staying to watch, explaining that it meant they would know exactly what to expect.