Jeremy Gets a Girlfriend

Jeremy Get's a Girlfriend

[You can practically smell the angst in this title]

Jeremy turned the corner to go to school, breaking his hand-hold with Michael and taking a step away from him.

Michael put his own hands in his hoodie pockets casually.

They walked together to the entrance of school and waved goodbye to head to their first period classes.

This was a normal day for the boys. They didn't act like boyfriends at school, they barely acted like best friends anymore. Nobody knew about...them...and that's how they liked. No. That's how Jeremy liked it. Michael hated it. He wanted to be able to show his pride and tell the entire school that Jeremy Heere was his boyfriend. However, Jeremy feared the bullies that had taken a break from bullying after he got squipped would use this as an opportunity to bully him once again. Though Rich, who had bullied him the most, no longer did so as the squip had left it's host. In fact, he'd come out with Jake just before spring break. They were having no trouble at all navigating school as a pair, though considering Rich was fairly built- nobody wanted to mess with him anyway. Hopefully now that Rich and Jeremy had come to good terms he'd stand up for him if needed, but this didn't comfort Jeremy all that much.

"I just don't want you or me getting hurt." Jeremy had said.

"But I don't care!" Michael has argued back, "I want to be able to brag about the greatest guy in school being my boyfriend!"

Jeremy blushed whenever the B word was used, but still held his ground, "...You're the only one that sees me that way Mikey..."

Now Michael sat in his first period class with the same troubled look on his face as he went over the possibilities in his head. Jeremy had a point, and he would never forgive himself if Jeremy got hurt on his terms. So, he dealt with it.

***

When break came after second period Michael was more than excited to be able to see Jeremy once again. He quickly got up from his seat and hurried out the door. Every time he left Jeremy's side, the only thing that clouded his mind was when he would see him again. He made his way down the hallway to the cafeteria, where they usually met. He scanned the tables until he recognized the curly hair of Jeremy. He smiled and advanced towards him, seating himself beside him, slumping his backpack down on the table, "What's up~?" Michael greeted him, reaching his hand underneath the table to subtly grab hold of Jeremy's.

Jeremy's face flashed red for a moment, holding onto Michael's hand. They were so close to each other that it would be impossible to see between them anyway to see that they were indeed holding hands, this was Michael's one condition for swallowing his pride, that he got to hold Jeremy's hand for at least one period.

"N-nothing much, you?" Jeremy studied the table, pretending not to notice anything.

Michael shrugged casually, "Nothing much. Though Mrs.May assigned us this angsty book that we have to read now..." Michael groaned.

"Really?" Jeremy shuffled through his backpack with his other hand, pulling out a small novel, "Is it this one? Mrs. Becca assigned this one to us."

Michael nodded, glad he would be able to share his struggles with Jeremy, "Who's your number two, 'A romance novel.'" Michael said the last part in a fancy voice, making Jeremy laugh.

Michael was about to make another retort when he noticed someone approach them, he instantly broke his hand away from Jeremy's and slid his headphones on, pretending to hum to his Marley playlist, though no music was playing.

Christine walked up to Jeremy, tapping him on the shoulder, "H-hey..."

Jeremy looked up nervously at her, "H-Hey Christine."

Michael felt his heart beat quicker with jealousy. Even though Jeremy was obviously his- well, obvious to himself at least, he still felt threatened by Christine quite a bit.

"Can we talk...privately?" She shifted her feet nervously.

Jeremy scooted over, "We can talk here. Michael has his music on so he can't hear." Jeremy knew that Michael didn't have music on, "Right Michael?" He shouted a bit louder.

Michael made no indication that he heard, having done this before, he continued to hum to the music that didn't play.

"Wh-what's on your mind?" Jeremy turned to Christine.

"W-well...I um...ever since play rehearsal started...I've been...thinking about...you...a lot..." She blushed a bit.

Michael felt like he was going to be sick, struggling to keep up his act, humming a bit harsher now.

"...And I wanted to know...if you wanted to...start going...out with me?" Christine looked at him hopefully, smiling shyly.

"I-I uh- I-" Jeremy panicked, "Sh-sure" He swallowed.

Christine practically leapt off of the table bench with excitement, "A-alright! See you tonight at the drive-in movie theater- at eight~" She squeaked and quickly ran away, leaving Jeremy dumbfounded.

Once she was out of sight, Michael slowly slipped his headphones off. He got up and put his backpack on, "I need to go..." Michael said blankly.

"M-Michael it's not like that-"

He turned towards Jeremy and Jeremy noticed that tears were welling up at the end of Michael's eyes, "Shut up Heere! Just shut up!" He stormed away.

Jeremy didn't move. He couldn't. He tried...but he couldn't.