iv

"PROMISE ME YOU'LL come back," Finnick demanded, holding her close in a hug.

"I can't," she said.

"Just say it. Even if you don't mean. I just need to hear you say it," he pleaded, pulling away and holding her at arm's length.

"I promise," she said, sounding resigned and tired. Her head dropped.

"Hey, look at me," he lifted her chin to look into her dark hues. "You'll be okay. And when you win, I'll be waiting right here for you."

She nodded, and he ran his thumb over her cheekbone. "I'll miss you."

"I know. But we'll see each other in a couple weeks. I know you can do this," he assured her, smiling at her softly. He wiped away a tear that fell down her cheek.

He pressed his lips to her forehead in an attempt to comfort her. She leant into him, desperate for his touch one last time before she was forced into her death sentence.

"Time's up, you two," a peacekeeper walked up and yanked her away.

"No! Finnick! No!" She screamed in a panic as she was dragged away.

Another peacekeeper grabbed his arms to restrain him. He struggled to break free, to run to her, to hug her one last time.

"Stay alive!" He shouted as she was pulled through a doorway and the doors slid shut, blocking out her screams.

-

THEY RAN THROUGH the jungle, getting as far away from the Cornucopia as they could. Katniss and Peeta took the lead while Scout and Finnick took the back. Mags rode on Finnick's shoulders, unable to run very fast.

"Where's Jerome?" Scout asked as they stopped to take a break.

"I think I saw him heading off with Johanna," Katniss said. Scarlett nodded, hoping he was safe.

"God, it's hot. We need to find fresh water," Peeta said, sweat and salt water running down his face. Scout agreed full heartedly as she tried to pull her soaking suit away from her skin.

Three cannons went off.

"Well, I guess we're not holding hands anymore," Finnick laughed. Scout chuckled at the irony of it all.

"You think that's funny?" Katniss asked, her voice monotone and angry.

"Every time that cannon goes off it's music to my ears. I don't care about any of them," Finnick replied. Katniss nodded and pulled a machete out of her sheath of arrows.

"That good to know," she said, resting the blade on her knee. Finnick lifted his trident in a casually defensive position.

"Wanna face the Career pack alone? What would Haymitch say?"

"Haymitch isn't here," Katniss said.

Scout moved to sit in between them, barely missing both their weapons as they scraped her sides.

"Let's keep moving," Peeta said, standing up and starting off. They all followed.

They continued their trek through the thick jungle, creepers tugging at their feet. Peeta walked in front again, cutting away the vines that hung from the trees.

Scout looked just slightly ahead of him and noticed the shimmering. Like glass. Like a forcefield. Katniss saw it too.

"Peeta, no!" They both screamed at the same time. It was too late. Peeta's blade hit the wall and he was pushed back at the force. His body knocked them all down