René looks back to the teacup. He looks at Mikaela. He straightens back up and looks down to where his hands hold the teacup. The teacup had a twin. It had been years from the last time René saw the other. Momentarily, as he moves to refill Mikaela's teacup, he thinks back to the deafening shatter it had made.

Back in that moment, it was all René could hear. He thanked the heavens for that. A teacups shatter, were far better than screams.

She smiled. Greeting and warm as always. She was drinking tea and reading a book. Book forgotten and she stood and made her way to where René stood, quietly closing the door behind him.

He meekly nodded instead of smiling, she snorted, unable to resists René's childish charm. Still so very nervous and inexperienced.

She took his hand and led him to the round glass table, motioning for him to sit in the chair next to hers. Once he was seated she directed him another smile and asked, "How is he? Is he eating well? His studies, how are they? Does he find them difficult?"

René smiled a teeny tiny smile. "He is well, misses you dearly, but he is well. He tends to smile more now. He has a healthy appetite, although he begs me to eat sweets before dinner." René huffed out a tired sigh, making him appear older. She laughed at his mannerisms, finding them to be adorable. "I have to scold him every time, reminding him he cannot spoil his dinner by filling up with sweets."

Then, René dropped the frown for a small, proud smile. "Oh! He is doing excellent! He absorbs everything very quickly! His memory is also wonderful. I quiz him at a random and he almost always replies with the correct answer—of course he is young so he has failed to retain everything but he is doing wonderfully!"

She could see how proud René was of Mikaela. It made her chest feel warm with delight. Then fill with sorrow when she remember she could not witness him complain and beg for sweets. Oh, he had such a big sweet tooth! She couldn't see him groan and pout in annoyance when he didn't like what he ate or what he drank. Couldn't see him whine and pout when he couldn't retain what he had learned.

Even so, she smiled. Albeit sad and sweet, bittersweet.

Slowly and quietly, she said, "I see. I am so very proud."

René smiled a wide smile. Making her lighten up, just a tiny bit.

"Be sure to deliver and kiss to the nose and tight, tight, lovable hug to him for me. Anonymous." She said, patting his shoulder. Moving her hand to his head and down the side. Pushing black locks behind his small pointed ear, hand cupping his jaw. "As always."

René nodded and hopped off the chair. His face returning to its blank state. As he walked to the door he listened as the tea cup and the saucer underneath it parted. The tea cups rim met soft lips, a swallow. The tea cup and the saucer reunited. Roses to roots.

René looked back as she lifted her book. Setting her eyes on the many words on one single page, she knew he was watching. René knew that, still, he stared for a bit.

He frowned a bit and then turned to the door, tuning its handle and stepping outside. Closing the door behind him as quietly as possible.

When René arrived at Mikaela's room, he wasn't shocked to see Mikaela was doing the same as she was. Drinking tea and reading a book.