Act II Scene IV

The scene opens in Elisio's office about a month later, he has a desk pointing left and he sits behind it on the right. Raniero and Renato are in two chairs in front of it. Each man holds a glass of wine with a purple bottle sitting on the desk. They each jointly take sips every now and then as they speak

Renato: Elisio, brother, I'm proud of you. Look at how well you've rebounded these past four months. Each of your paintings have been replaced and tripled from before everything happened.

Raniero: Indeed, and you've been making so much more money than you did before. It seems people take a liking to your newly found vigor in the art industry.

Elisio: Laughs and takes a sip of wine All it takes is a little coercion you could say, without being stabbed would it be correct in assuming that I may not have even been doing what I am now. In all honesty seeing my art destroyed is just what I needed to wake myself up. There's no shame in my art, no shame in my eyes, the only shame lies with the people who don't respect it yes?

Renato: Absolutely

Raniero: Indeed.

Each man sits for a few moments in silence looking to one another taking in their current surroundings.

Elisio: But enough about me, how about the two of you? I'm sure your work has been treating you well. Well, better than mine has been treating me at least.

Both Renato and Raniero go to speak at the same time but stop themselves as they hear one another.

Raniero: Go ahead?

Renato: No no you go on, I was going to ask you how you've been doing anyway.

Raniero: Well, being a law advisor certainly has its perks. I can know many of the enforcers within Venezia and, to be honest, one tends to feel a lot safer walking around the streets knowing there's guards who watch your back from time to time.

Elisio: Have you ever spoken to Grimani for an extended period of time?

Raniero: Yes I have, it was about two years ago when I met him myself. Back then he wasn't knighted, however he was still influential. Him and I talked of a petty criminal that tried to steal from him. Grimani was as short sighted as he was earlier today, saying he wants the highest punishment possible for him.

Renato: And did he get his wish?

Raniero: Grazie dio no, the pickpocket got about a month in holding, then was released.

Renato: Is Grimani always that crazy?

Elisio: Sounds as if yes, speaking of which did you ever find out what happened to that kid that stabbed me?

Raniero: I informed them as to what you wanted to happen. The guards were almost as surprised as I was as well. They released him in a couple weeks time, he didn't have a family to return to from what I understand.

Renato: And they just... Let him go back onto the streets?

Raniero: He was offered a place in an orphanage, but seeing as how adamant he was to be released, they thought it only necessary to let him go back out.

Elisio: I wish they would've at least put him into someone's custody.

Raniero: They tried to, but no one would take him on short notice. I don't know if anyone will see him again, he may have left Venezia. I would if I were identified as an attempted murderer.

Renato: As would I, it's a sad story in reality. Our youth this day and age isn't getting anywhere. I believe Venezia should invest into more academically, similar to England. Elizabeth is a great supporter of our educational system.