Laylatul Qadr: Introduction

Aisha, may Allah be pleased with her, related that the Prophet said: Look for Laylatul Qadr on an odd-numbered night during the last ten nights of Ramadan (Bukhari)

"Allah has favoured Friday over all other days, the month of Ramadan over all other months, and the Night of Destiny (Laylatul Qadr) over all other nights."Prophet Muhammad (saw), Muftahul Jannat, vol.3, p.265, Vol. 3

Allah (SWT) says in the Qur'an: The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months. The angels and the Spirit descend therein by permission of their Lord for every matter. Peace it is until the emergence of dawn.  (Quran 93:3-5)

The blessed Laylatul Qadr can be found in any of the last 10 nights of Ramadan, which are the most blessed nights of the year. As such, we should increase our worship and devotion during this period.

Aisha (R.A) reported: With the start of the last ten days of Ramadan, the Prophet (PBUH) used to tighten his waist belt (i.e. work harder) and used to pray the whole night, and used to keep his family awake for the prayers. (Bukhari)

Abu Hurayrah (R.A) relates that the Prophet (PBUH) said: "Whoever stands (in the voluntary night prayer of) Ramadan out of faith and in the hope of reward, his previous sins will be forgiven. And whoever spends the night of Lailat Al-Qadr in prayer out of faith and in the hope of reward, his previous sins will be forgiven." [Sunan-an-Nisai)

If we cannot manage all of the 10 nights, then as many as we can manage, particularly on the odd-numbered nights: 21st, 25th, 27th and 29th.

Each and every good deed from Maghrib until Fajr on Laylatul Qadr is rewarded a minimum of at least 83 years' of worship.

Best dua of the last 10 nights

Best dua of the last 10 nights: 

    Aisha (R.A) reported: I asked: "O Messenger of Allah! If I realize Lailat-ul-Qadr (Night of Decree), what should I supplicate in it?" He (PBUH) replied, "You should supplicate: Allahumma innaka 'afuwwun, tuhibbul-'afwa, fa'fu 'anni (O Allah, You are Most Forgiving, and You love forgiveness; so forgive me)." [At-Tirmidhi].

Indirect Aims of Laylatul Qadr: Disciplining oneself to show exemplary character:

The Prophet (PBUH) said: "Nothing will be heavier on the Day of Resurrection in the Scale of the believer than good manners. Allah hates one who utters foul or coarse language." [At-Tirmidhi]. So we must aim to be the best in character during these blessed nights and continue to do so for the rest of the year. We must not argue, swear, backbite, slander or gossip.

May Allah (SWT) accept our seeking of the blessed night, and of every other opportunity. Ameen.