This is How it Goes - Chapter 3

"What about...this Gerber stuff?" asked Andrew, holding the vegetable turkey baby food in his hands. "Is any of that on the list?"

I skimmed the baby list again, seeing Gerber. "Yeah, but I don't know about vegetable turkey. Would she like that?"

Andrew was peeling at the lid and pulled it off. "Do you like this?" he asked Eva, holding it up to her nose. She turned her face away from the food. "Then we'll try something else." He placed it back on the shelf.

"Andrew," I said, "we have to buy that now. You opened it. It's going to spoil."

"They'll replace it...eventually." He picked up the drained peas and banana flavored food. "Let's get these. Banana's good, right?" he asked Eva. She smiled at us.

"She really is cute." I squeezed her cheeks and smiled at her. "Who knew that shopping for baby food would be so difficult?"

Andrew shrugged, searching the shelves for more Gerber goods. "Can we leave yet? I have things to do."

I put my hand on my hip. "Oh, what could you possible have going on the is better than shopping for baby supplies?" I joked.

He actually smiled. "I have a date."

"Are you sure it's even a date?" I snorted. "Last time you tried to go on a date, it got ruined by one of your snobby other 'dates.'"

"I thought you said that was 'behind us and we should just forget about it'?" he imitated in my voice. I punched his arm. "Yes, it's a date."

"Oh, yeah?" I crossed my arms. "And what exactly are you going to do on this date?"

"We're going to Sezario's..."

I raised my eyebrows, a smile tickling my lips. "And then you're going to sleep together," I finished. "God, you're such a pig."

He pointed his finger at me, growing annoyed with my pressing. "What I do in my free time is none of your business."

I shook my head in a disapproving way. Honestly, could he be any more unbelievable?

"You know what I don't think is fair?" I asked him, even if he didn't care.

"Here we go..."

"How us women get judged and called awful names after sleeping with someone and you men can go sleep around whenever you want without being judged or called names. That's not fair."

"Quit complaining," he said, pushing the cart along behind me.

"I'm going to come up with a name for men like you," I suggested, raising eyebrows at him. "Then maybe you'll learn your lesson."

"Whatever," he responded, even more impatient than before.

I heard a high-pitched, annoying laugh from behind me. I could recognize that laugh even if it came from miles away. My old college friend, Cherish, who thought she was a better cook than I was, (well, I mean, she was, but there was no way I was admitting it to her) was talking with a woman next to her.

Cherish had a perfect life—loving husband, a great job and an endless amount of money. She couldn't know that I was single and alone with no children.

Unless...

Cherish started toward me, not catching who I was until my lips were already placed to Andrew's. "Oh, my God. Skylar?"

I pulled away from Andrew, leaving him beyond confused, and smiled at her. "Wow, Cherish, it's been a while. How are you?"

"Well, clearly not as great as you are," she said, walking towards Eva. "I would love to be introduced to them."