This is How it Goes - Chapter 10

------

Whew, I've been writing this story a lot lately. You're welcome :)

You get to meet Andrew's parents and, hopefully, fall in love with the way Skylar and Andrew are so obviously in love. Ugh, they need to be together.

BUT, all good things to those who wait... (if you didn't say that in Mother Gothel's voice from Tangled then I am extremely disappointed)

Enjoy!

------

This is How it Goes - Chapter 10

The first weeks of fall passed by uneventfully as Thanksgiving Day neared. To Andrew's dismay, we had to pack bags and cooking supplies for the trip to his parents' cabin. Since Morgan invited us, he had voiced multiple complaints, but eventually gave up, knowing it was a useless fight.

Eva whined as we packed up the minivan. We filled the trunk completely and put the crockpots on the backseat floor.

Taking one look at my bulky suitcase, Andrew frowned. "Why are you bringing so much stuff? We're only gonna be there three days."

"Unlike you, my hair and face don't look like this without proper products," I explained, buckling Eva into her car seat. "All you do is dry your hair and it instantly looks presentable."

Bear hopped in the back, sticking his nose out of the cracked window. I almost questioned why Bear was coming along, but I already knew the answer. Andrew brought that dog with him everywhere; if he had the chance to show off his remarkably adorable dog in front of Lance, he wouldn't pass it up.

On our way to the gathering, Andrew told stories about the cabin he and his siblings stayed at all the time as children. Many of the stories included falling in the water or pissing their parents off just for the fun of it. There was one instance, though, that Morgan got covered from head to toe with leeches and had to strip down in front of everyone.

"Don't tell Morgan I told you," he warned, pointing a finger at me. "She'd gut me."

Five minutes passed before Andrew drove into a remote area filled with low-hanging trees across the streets. Despite the weather being muggy and gross, the scenery was indeed beautiful. We traveled on the path for only a few moments before he turned onto a gravel pathway and down a fairly steep hill. In the distance, I spotted a large cabin just a block away from Lake Okeechobee. A part of me was scared alligators or other wildlife would bother us, but if Morgan approved of her kids staying here, I could.

"Wow, that cabin is really nice." I forgot I'd said it out loud rather than keeping it to myself.

Andrew nodded slowly. "It hasn't changed a bit."

"How long has your family had it?"

"A long time," was all he said, which I assumed meant just as he said it. Probably before he was born.

Andrew parked the van next to Morgan's. On the other side was a red Mini Cooper, most likely his parent's investment. There was no way Lance, Lauren and their kids would've fit in that car.

At least Lance wasn't here yet. I was holding out a sliver of hope that he'd change his mind and wouldn't ruin the getaway.

Children screamed from the porch and a shrill "Chandler, stop running around!" escaped Morgan's mouth. "Do not get that outfit dirty!"

Andrew began unpacking the van while I pulled Eva out from her car seat. She babbled, holding her arms out at me. "Mmm-a."

I froze. She'd been calling Andrew "Da-da" for weeks now, but I never imagined her referring to me as her mother. I couldn't help feeling empty as she said it—no matter how cute and squeaky her voice was.