This is How it Goes - Chapter 2

I was pushing eighty miles an hour on my way to the station. The man that spoke with me on the phone wasn't quite clear about why I needed to come to the station, but he said it is an emergency.

The parking lot was fairly empty around twelve o'clock. I started to cry, immediately thinking the worst. Who was I close to that would be in an emergency at a time like this?

Two officers approached me when I opened the door, the woman leaning her head down. The man said: "Are you Skylar Tucker?"

I nodded my head, feeling warm tears starting in my eyes. "What's going on?"

"Do you recognize the names..." He peered down at the paper in his hands. "Nathan and Abigail Hertz?"

Oh my god...

"Yes, I do," I squeaked.

The woman brought her head up and looked at me. "I'm sorry to say this, but the two were found dead after a terrible car accident. They died on impact."

Oh my god...

I took a deep breath and stumbled backwards until I landed on a chair. I began to choke on my tears. "I don't u-understand. Why them?"

Eva...what about Eva?

"I understand they had a daughter," the woman said.

"Have," I corrected. "Her name's Eva and she's six-months-old. Where is she? Can I see her?"

"Ma'am you can't see her right now," the man said firmly when I stood up. "She's with the babysitter at the house. Child Protective Services are on their way to pick her up."

Just then the door swung open and I looked back to see Andrew stalking toward us, placing his hands in his pockets. Somehow he already knew what this meant. His diverted gaze and clenched jaw told it all.

"You must be....Andrew Garfield?" the man presumed.

"Yes, sir," he quietly answered, looking down at me.

"Are you two aware of your roles in Eva's life?" the man asked.

"No," I sobbed, putting my hands over my mouth.

The two officers exchanged confused glances. "Did neither Mr. nor Mrs. Hertz inform either of you about their plan for their daughter if something were to happen to them?" Andrew and I shook our heads. "You two are the godparents of Eva Hertz."

Andrew and I stayed silent. All I heard was his steady breathing and my uncontrollable sobs.

The officers took us to a table and set a packet in front of us. "We need you two to sign this paper to promise you'll be the guardians of Eva Hertz unless you want her in foster care."

"Can we have a second to talk this over?" I asked, grabbing Andrew's arm.

"Of course."

I took a deep breath and looked up at him. All the bitter hatred toward him had momentarily disappeared. Eva needed us, like him or not. "We cannot put Eva through foster care," he said before I could.

"That's not what Abby and Nate wanted," I finished. "We have to sign those papers."

He nodded his head, leading me back to the officers. "We'll sign them," he said, picking up the pen first.

"So you don't confuse Eva, we suggest you two move into the Hertz' house," said the woman. "Staying in a familiar environment will be better for her."