I.

K a t h e r i n e

I had only heard the legend of Briar Rose from the stories passed on from generations, she was also known as The Sleeping Beauty. Legend has it a prince named Phillip with sword and shield in hand, battled his way to the princesses tower, fighting a fire breathing dragon and awakened the princess with a kiss. Helping her were three fairies one red, one blue, and one green. That story always captured my attention. I was just the baker's daughter, a girl who every night while laying in bed could hear a males voice sing to me. The song goes like this:

I put a spell on you and now you're mine, you try to fight it but it consumes your mind, hypnotized by my voice you surrender, like a lullaby you're entranced, like magic, its nostalgic, and soon you'll be mine.

I would fall under the same trance every night when I heard that song, I'd walk like a hypnotized zombie into the woods only to snap back into reality and wander back home. That song had some control over me, like a spell.
My father had set up an arranged marriage with the king's son Niall, who took a liking to me one day while picking up some bread. One day I went to see him and I caught him making out with the stable boy. He's a nice guy and all but I'm not a guy.

Every night that voice sang to me, so one day I decided to go to the woods where I ended up every night. I took along my drawing pad and pencil. The forest was peaceful but yet there was a dark and spooky part of it, none of the villagers dared to step foot In there. Legend has it someone went in and never came back out. Perhaps they just got lost and died of starvation. I hoped they didn't get eaten by the dragon, that would be really unfortunate. I hummed the song in my head and picked a spot to sit. I opened my notebook and began to sketch a bird sitting on a branch in front of me. It flew on my fingers and chirped happily. "Hello little birdie, enjoying the beautiful day? I am too." I said as I giggled. The bird flew off and I sighed. I heard the male voice singing the same song from before as I got up and followed it until it got closer and closer I stood behind a tree and peaked around the corner at what I had seen.. a man with horns!