4

----Melody----

Fifth-period physics finally gets here, but Kai isn't in his seat like he normally is. He's usually one of the first ones to classes. Some people used to joke around about him having a teleporter to get from class to class.

When I get to my seat, glancing nervously at Kai's desk, he isn't there. I look around the room, but he's nowhere. I don't dare get up or raise my hand to ask the teacher where he is because that would draw attention to me.

I can't have people noticing me.

If people notice me, they'll see through the mask. There are too many holes in my appearance, and it'll make people question. 

Why are her pants ripped? They're not jeans, and only jeans have the ripped style. But her sweatpants have the same type of holes.

Why is her hair always a wreck? Doesn't she ever shower or brush it? Why is there dirt under her fingernails?

Why does she always wear loose clothes? They barely fit her, can't she find something better?

I can't have people questioning me.

So, I keep my head down, avoiding any attention. The teacher makes it through attendance and Kai still hasn't shown up. Some kids told the teacher he was absent.

Is he sick? He looked perfectly fine last night.

The teacher begins her lesson, but my mind wanders to theories about why Kai isn't here.

Was he killed? Abducted by aliens? Is he avoiding me?

It was most likely aliens.

When the last bell rings, dismissing ninth period, I get out my phone.

- Where've you been?

I wait for a response, but nothing happens.

I sigh, put it away, and head home. As I pass Kai's house, my phone vibrates. I quickly check it.

Deven - Some animal stole our food.

- How much is left?

- Just crumbs. Do you have any money on you to go to the store?

- I ran out last week.

- Not even enough for a small snack?

- No.

- But Mom, I'm hungry!

- I know. We'll make it.

- Wait, I have an idea.

I put my phone in my pocket, looking at Kai's house. I inhale deeply and walk up to the door, rapping on it softly. The door opens, Kai's mother standing in the doorway.

"Melody! I'm sorry, but Kai isn't up for visitors today."

"No, that's fine. I was just wondering if... Do you have any food you could spare?"

She frowns. "Can your parents not pay for food?"

"That doesn't matter. If you don't have any, that's fi--"

She grabs my arm, her touch delicate and tender, pulling me in the house.

"Sit," She says sternly, pointing to a couch. Unnerved by her tone, I don't put up a fight, and sit on the couch.

She looks through her cupboards.

Mindlessly, Kai wanders over, sitting next to me on the couch.

"Hey," I say, and he jumps, almost falling off the couch.

"When did you get here?"

"About five minutes ago."

"Why?..."

"No reason. I'll be gone soon, don't worry."

He shakes his head, putting his hand on it. "Why am I not surprised that my mother let you in?"

As he says that, his mother walks back, cans of food in her arms. "Well, it turns out Melody's parents have a hard time affording food."

I mentally facepalm.

He looks at me, sympathy replacing the annoyance in his eyes from before. "Really? But you look fine."

Taking the cans, I shake my head. "I look average. Below average with all this dirt that nobody seems to notice." I turn to his mother. "Thank you, Mrs, Spencer."

"Please, call me Karen."

"Thank you, Karen. I should get back to my brother before he accidentally kills himself. So, goodbye, and have a good day."

"What jobs do your parents have?" Kai asks as I get up.

"Watching over us, as my brother says. In my eyes though, nothing." Cradling the cans in my arms, I walk out before he can ask any more questions.

I know this is about 350 words shorter than normal, sorry. I haven't had much time to write. Finals are next week, so yeah. I've been busy. 

Anyway. Vote, comment, share, etc.

Melody will be explained soon. Her past isn't too complicated.

-Mc out