2

----Kai----

Max, my dog, bounces into my room as I put my phone down, and jumps at me. I fall backward onto my bed from the force and try to push his head away as he licks me.

"Max, I get it! You want food, ok!" I laugh and block my face until he gives up. Sitting up, I brush off the fur he shed on me.

I slide off the bed, going to the kitchen to grab Max's bowl.

"If you keep rewarding him, he'll continue to do it," Mother says.

"Yeah, yeah. It's the only way to get him off me."

I bring the bowl to the garage, scooping some food into it. As I put it down in its usual spot, Mother turns on some music.

I can't help but smile. "Someone is coming over to work on a physics project."

"Just five minutes, I haven't seen you all day!"

----Melody----

I walk to Kai's house, finding it easily. I've passed it every day, but haven't paid it any attention before now.

It's a relatively small house that could probably hold five people at most. The mowed lawn has grown out more than other lawns near it. Tan paint lines the side, blending with the brown roof.

I follow the gravel path up to the front door and knock. Waiting patiently by the white door, faint music reaches my ears.

I step towards a window, peeking in. A woman, most likely in her thirties, stands by a stove, stirring a pot. She makes no indication of hearing my knock.

I go and knock again, looking through the window.

Nothing.

I take a deep breath, grabbing the handle. With one last glance at the window, I open the door.

A golden-furred dog runs to me, sniffing my legs. I ignore it, staring wide-eyed at Kai singing. His light blond hair flies in his face, hiding his summer-ocean blue eyes. His normally quiet personality disappears as he puts his soul into the song.

His voice takes my breath away.

He doesn't need the background music, his angelic, smooth voice is enough.

The woman notices me and smiles, turning the music down. I try to motion for her not to, but she shakes her head, walking to me.

"He won't notice it's gone until after the song ends."

Kai must've got his eyes from her because they're the same shade of ocean blue. His blonde hair was probably from his father since his mother's hair is curly and chocolate brown.

I put my finger to my lips, trying to get her to shut up.

"Once he gets into the music, his mind focuses on the music completely. He's not aware of anything around him."

I smile. Well, this was an unexpected discovery.

His mother leads me to the kitchen table, taking a seat. I sit next to her.

We both laugh quietly as we watch Kai act out the lyrics to the song as if no one was watching. When he finishes, he looks up at me and yelps, grabbing the closest thing to him, a pan, and hides behind it.

I laugh. "Why are you embarrassed? That was amazing!"

"How long were you sitting there?" He doesn't move the pan away.

"Two minutes."

He slowly lowers the pan, his face as red as a raspberry. The freckles across his cheeks and nose stand out against the red. "You tell no one about this, got it?"