Part Fifteen (Louis)

I re-read that message over more times than I can even remember. As I sat there over analyzing every bit of it, it didn’t occur to me that time was slipping away. I glanced to the corner of my laptop where I had seen the time: 3:28 A.M. I cannot believe I had been staring at this message for so long. God, I need to stop doing that.

I closed my laptop and shakily turned out the lamp next to my bed. Quickly I pulled the covers around me and lied on my back. Thoughts began to swirl all around my brain of just what Liam could possibly want to “catch up” on. He knows our history and I’m pretty positive he knows that he scarred me for life, maybe even longer. Memories started to flood in as I get deeper in thought.

(Flashback)

The school day had just finished up and I was walking with my best mate Camille. People picked on her for being a nerd and for always being nervous around everyone. She had helped me one day after the football players had beat me up for walking past the field on the way to class. Ever since that day, we became inseparable. She’s very sweet and she understands me.

She was in the middle of telling me about this mini explosion that happened in her chemistry class when someone shouted her name. On instinct, we both turned around. No one ever talks to us so to hear her name being called and it wasn’t me who had called her, shocked us both. It was Rosalie, head cheerleader of the cheer team. What on earth could she want with Camille?

“Camille! Camille, over here!” Rosalie shouted.

Camille looked at me confused as she pushed up her glasses that were on the brim of her nose.

“What do they want with me?” Camille asked, getting more nervous by the second. I shook my head, “I have no clue Cam. But there’s only one way to find out I suppose.”

Her eyes had fear written all over them. “I c-can’t possibly g-go alone, Louis! Co-come with me” she stuttered.

“Cam, calm down. She won’t do anything. I’ll be standing right over there by your car which is only a couple of feet from where Rosalie and her team are. If anything happens, I’ll rush right over.” I confessed.

“You promise?” She held out her pinky.

I smiled and latched my pinky with hers. “I promise.”

“Camille!” Rosalie shouted again. Cam turned around and looked at her. She looked back at me and gave me a small smile. I smiled back. “Go, I’ll be right over there.” I said. With that, Cam pushed up her glasses again and turned to walk in Rosalie’s direction. I began walking to Cam’s car. I really hope Rosalie doesn’t try any funny business with Camille because I just gave my friend the okay to go over there and talk to her. It would be entirely my fault if anything happened. I turned around to check on Camille to see her already talking to Rosalie and the rest of the cheer team. Cam looked a little frazzled but she was talking and Rosalie seemed to be listening so I suppose everything was okay. Cam looked back at me with a smile already etched on her face. I waved and smiled back when all of sudden, her happy face suddenly became a panicked one.

“Louis, look out!” Camille screamed.

I looked confused as I turned around to see what I had to look out for. In mid-turn I saw a car racing towards me. I couldn’t move fast enough and the car ran smack into my body. I screwed my eyes shut. I couldn’t feel a thing. I blinked a couple times to take in my surroundings but the pressure on my head was forcing me to shut my eyes again. I desperately tried to keep them open, but I couldn’t.

Someone touched me. They’re shaking me a bit, but I can’t respond. Why can’t I respond?

“Louis! Oh my God, Louis can you hear me?! Louis! Someone call an ambulance!”

It sounded like Camille. I strained my eyes to see her better. She applied pressure to my head which I assumed was bleeding. I winced and she pulled back a little but continued to apply pressure.

“I’m so sorry Louis. I’m sooooo sssss…” I was fading in and out, I could barely hear what Camille was saying. I looked around and saw figures standing all around us. “MOVE!” someone shouted. Suddenly, the pressure Camille was pressing against my head wasn’t felt anymore. I shot my eyes straight up again to look for her. She wasn’t there. In her place was… a guy? I frantically looked around for Cam when I finally saw her figure on the ground being held by two other people. Her figure was moving slow. Everything had seemed to be going in slow motion.

I slowly brought my eyes back up to person above me. He looked so familiar. I strained my eyes.

No.

A tear had slid down the side of face, leaving a burning sensation on the way.

It couldn’t be.

“Aww, little Tommo here’s crying. Like a little baby. A baby.”

It was him. It was Liam.

(Flashback over)

I jolted upright out of my bed. My body was covered in sweat. I repeatedly tapped my face trying to wake myself up. I glanced over at my alarm clock. 5:52 A.M. I didn’t even know I had fallen asleep. I get up to get some water. Maybe that’ll calm me down.

As I walk to the kitchen, images of me on the ground, and Camille screaming, and all the figures standing around me cloud my mind. I had blacked out after I saw it was Liam who had ran me over. I woke up later in the hospital that evening. My dad was on the phone arguing with someone and Camille was holding my hand, her head was lying down on the side of my bed. When she had realized I had woken up, she told me that Liam had told Rosalie to distract her so that I would be alone so that he could run me over. I was devastated. What did I do so wrong that Liam wanted to take my life?

What was I doing wrong? If someone would just tell me, I would stop. I promise, I would.

I got my water and sipped slowly as I took a seat at the kitchen table. A plate of fruit sits on the table, adding a small bit of color to the beige room. I chose a banana and was about to peel it open when I stopped. I turned the banana the other way and decided to peel it from the other end. Harry eats his bananas this way.

Harry.

It always seems as if all my thoughts relate back to Harry somehow. Should I tell him about my nightmare? Should I just keep this to myself? Would he even care? Who am I kidding, Of course he would; he’s Harry. He cares about everything we talk about. I toss my banana peel in the trash bin and place my water glass in the sink before heading back to my room. I settle back in bed. I reach for my phone to set an alarm to wake me at 8. I press the home button and see I have a message and a missed call. Who is even up this late?

I unlock my phone and decide to look at my missed calls first. I click on the call log and see Harry’s name in red.  It says he called at 4:41 A.M. I check the time. 6:15 on the dot. Why did he call me so late? I begin to dial his number when I stop myself. It’s way too early to be calling him back. He’s probably already asleep anyways. I go to my messages. Harry’s name has a blue dot by it indicating I have a message I haven’t read from him yet.

 “Hey Lou, I couldn’t sleep. I just wanted to let you know you were on my mind. Also, I have a really cool joke that I know you’ll laugh at this time :) hahaha, sleep tight my love. See you tomorrow!

- Harry xx”

I smiled and reread the message at least a dozen times. How did I get so lucky with Harry?  Isn’t he just the greatest? I mean; he’s funny, and charming, and…funny.  Still smiling, I set my alarm and put my phone to the side. I pull the covers around me again letting my nightmare slip my mind. I fell back asleep dreaming of Harry and the joke he had for me in the morning.