I felt James beside me, gently patting my back as I threw up my lunch from hours before. I could only wipe my mouth on the sleeves of my sweater, my legs shaky as I straightened again.

"Come on," James said quietly, gently helping me walk. "I'll get you to your room."

He led the way, allowing me to squeeze my eyes to avoid the horrors in front of me. We finally reached my room, tucked in a small hallway on the same floor. It was relatively clean in mine and Liana's section, save for the bloody writing on the wall outside my room. The words Get out flashed in my mind as James helped me through the door.

"Erika!" I felt Cora, Elisa, and Beth wrap their arms around me; I breathed another sigh of relief, knowing that they were all safe.

They stepped away after a moment, allowing me to get a glimpse at my room. It was damaged like last time but only partially; as if they'd been interrupted halfway through. The sheets on the bed and the curtains were torn to ribbons. The table and chairs were broken, while the armoire lay in a heap of shattered wood. Thankfully, the piano hadn't been touched and the bathroom and closet were in pristine shape.

"Try and get some more sleep," James squeezed my shoulder before opening the door. "I'll let Derek know you're here."

As soon as the door closed behind him, Elisa and Cora rushed to help me into the bathroom. I still felt slightly nauseous, but as I sank into the lilac-scented tub, my stomach eased. I brushed away the images of destruction, allowing my maids to wrap me in a fluffy robe as soon as they were done. When I emerged from the bathroom, the sheets on the bed had been replaced and the broken furniture removed.

A knock came as I sank onto the puffy sheets. Expecting Derek, I allowed Cora to let him in, but I was instead met with Celia. I was surprised at the relief on her face once she saw me.

"Lady Erika. I'm glad to see you're alright. We were all quite worried when you never came down," Celia smiled gently before handing me a phone. "You're the last one, so take as long as you need."

I nodded my thanks before pressing the numbers. I ached to hear anyone's voice; I hadn't spoken to them in so long.

"Hello?" Kaleb's groggy voice answered the phone. Always the lightest sleeper, I wasn't surprised that he was the one to answer.

"Kaleb! It's Erika."

I heard a crash and assumed he'd dropped the phone. At least I knew my clumsiness was genetic. "Er? Is that really you? How're you calling?"

"It's me, Kaleb," I bit my lip; maybe it wasn't a good thing that my older brother had been the one to answer the phone. "There was a rebel attack. We're allowed to call our families."

"What?" Kaleb's exclamation was loud enough to wake up the whole house. "An attack?!"

"Yes, but I'm fine. I promise."

"Thank God," I could practically see his anxiety fade away. "Dad and Aidan will freak. You and I both know they're going to push you to come home."

"I know." I sighed; Aidan was unbelievably overprotective and rebels had been what my father was worried about from the moment the Selection began. Now they had evidence that the palace wasn't necessarily the safest place right now.

Kaleb waited a moment before speaking. "You don't want to, do you?"

Always the one to know how I was feeling, Kaleb. I could see again why he was always my favorite. "I don't."

Kaleb sighed but I could see him smiling softly. "Damn. My little sister's in love."

I giggled quietly, not bothering to deny it. "You'll like him. I promise."

"I know I will. You're too smart to love an idiot," he laughed.

I smiled softly. "I miss you. All of you." I glanced at Celia, knowing I was pushing her limit.

"We miss you too. Mom and Dad especially," my heart ached at his words. "Amber's been taking care of Duke. Aidan's not here much, but I know he misses you."

"And Annika?" I asked quietly, not sure if I wanted to hear the answer.

"She won't say it, but I know she does. Amber caught her talking to Duke the other morning." Kaleb spoke as Celia looked at me pointedly.

I paused. Was Annika talking to my horse about me?

"Listen Kaleb, I've gotta go. Tell everyone I love and miss them. Give Duke an apple from me." I sighed as I hung up the phone and gave it back to Celia.

So much for all the time I needed.
__________________________
Just a quick chapter that I wanted to get out while I had time. I hope you guys enjoyed!

QOTC: Where are you from?

AOTC: Originally from Canada but I live in the United States!

Please comment and vote! I love hearing what you guys think❤️️

xoxo, _lovemultifandoms_