v. Seeing Red

From the fog clearing, the image of a blonde male, a dark skinned male, and a ginger woman could  be made out, their images blurring slightly from the dense fog

From the fog clearing, the image of a blonde male, a dark skinned male, and a ginger woman could  be made out, their images blurring slightly from the dense fog. It is the dark skinned male that speaks up first as he throws their missing baseball Carlisle's way, "I believe this belongs to you."

Dr. Cullen smiles politely as he catches the ball with great ease, "Thank you."

The man speaks up again after glancing at his trio, "Could you use three more players?"

"Of course," Dr. Cullen states as if he's on autopilot. 

"I'm Laurent," the man introduces himself before pointing to the duo beside him, "This is Victoria and James."

Victoria smirks at Florence, "But you already knew that, didn't you?"

Dr. Cullen ignores Victoria's comment for the time being, "Would you like to bat first?"

Laurent picked up the metal bat that Jasper had dropped as both teams take the field. He steps up to home plate as Dr. Cullen began conversation from his place in the outfield, "I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us."

"Our apologies," Laurent began, "We didn't realize the territory had been claimed."

Carlisle nods, "Yes, we maintain a permanent residence."

The new trio exchanged looks of surprise because of the uncommon occurrence among vampires. Laurent spoke their minds, "Really? Well, we won't be a problem anymore."

Victoria smirked, "The humans were tracking us, but  we led them east -"

Her sentence was cut off by the sound of Jasper pitching the ball. Laurent slams the metal bat into the ball, causing a loud, thunder-like boom to resonate. Florence is quick to climb a tree, catching the ball in her hand without a second thought. A satisfying thump sounded out as the ball connected with her palm. 

It was Florence's turn to smirk as Laurent becomes heated about getting out. James was delighted to find that the Cullens were worthy opponents as he steps up to home plate, Jasper pitches a curveball that James hits. It soars through the woods, past Florence and Alice, as the duo races to catch it. James began running the bases. As he passed first base, the wind from his sprint ruffled Bella's hair.

The sweet scent of the blood coursing through her veins passed through the air. The almost floral scent made James stop in his tracks as he realized a human was in his presence, "You brought a snack."

Edward jumps into action, throwing his body in front of Bella's without hesitation. He bared his teeth at James as he let out a warning growl that sounded out from his throat and into the air. 

Florence and Alice return from the woods, the ball clutched in Alice's grasp, as they rush to join the Cullens in blocking Bella from the trio. 

"The girl is with us," Carlisle speaks with conviction.

Laurent looks at James worriedly, "We won't harm her."

"Just try it," Emmett is eager to fight, challenging them to take one more step towards the tiny human they are protecting.

Carlisle is picking up on Emmett's eagerness as he attempts to diffuse the situation at hand, "I think it best if you leave."

"Yes, I can see the game is over. We'll go now," Laurent begins, not wanting to start something with the clan, "James?"

James's eyes never once left Edwards's until Laurent pushed his shoulder to snap him out of his predation state. They left peacefully through the woods, but that did not stop the Cullen's from jumping into action, knowing just what James was after. 

As soon as they disappeared from sight, Esme began picking up the bats.

Dr. Cullen looked at Edward, "Get Bella out of here; we'll follow them."

Jasper and Florence begin flying through the woods in pursuit of the redhead and her puppets while Carlisle and a resentful Rosalie follow closely behind. 

Knowing Victoria, Florence knew that this wouldn't be over any time soon.

Game on.

***

(UNEDITED)

(665 WORDS)