x. Not My Scene

Florence had just finished clasping the back of her left earring closed when she stepped back and looked in the mirror as she smoothed out her emerald green ballroom dress

Florence had just finished clasping the back of her left earring closed when she stepped back and looked in the mirror as she smoothed out her emerald green ballroom dress. Pinning back her bangs, she had decided that her appearance was to her satisfaction.

She searched for her clutch while she shoved her taupe heels on, one shoe at a time. Not finding it in her bedroom, she expanded her search to the living room, where she eventually found it under one of the throw pillows. 

As soon as her clutch was in her hands, a multitude of knocks sounded from behind her cedar door. Checking her watch for the time, she saw that he was an hour early. Smiling to herself, she was proud that she knew him well enough to know that he would be here long before the actual set time. 

Walking to the door, she adjusted her dress before opening it. She was met with a head of blond hair and a self righteous smirk, "Sorry I'm early."

Florence opened the door a bit further and gestured for Jasper to come in, to which he complied. Florence shut the door behind him as she laughed, "See, usually on dates I hear the opposite."

"What can I say," Jasper began, "I just can't seem to stay away from the lovely Florence Flannery."

"Well, you're lucky that I know you well enough to get ready early," Florence smiled.

"Are you ready to go?" Jasper asked.

Florence glanced around, picked up her phone before confirming that she was ready. The car ride to the school was spent in comfortable silence with Jasper's right hand clasped in Florence's left. When the BMW's engine came to a roaring halt, Jasper spoke up, "Are you sure you really want to do this, Flor?"

"Uhm, yea, of course," Florence tried to convince either him or herself, she couldn't exactly tell which one.

"It's just that I know Rose and Alice kind of talked you into it," Jasper began, lightly rubbing circles on the back of her hand with his thumb, "I don't want to force you to do something you don't feel comfortable doing."

"Well," Florence began, "Isn't this what highschool girls are supposed to want?"

"Maybe," Jasper chuckled, "But, you've been to highschool enough to get tired of mundane proms. Besides, the whole big dance ordeal was never your scene."

"Believe it or not, I've never been to a prom," Florence admitted.

Jasper smirked, "Well in that case, I'm honored to be the first to take you."

"Thirty minutes," Florence deadpanned.

"That's all I ask," Jasper said before getting out of the car and opening the passenger's door to help Florence out of the car.

Jasper wrapped his right arm around Florence's back as she nuzzled into his right side, one hand on his chest. It was a humid night, and the stars were gleaming. Florence stopped walking just before the entrance to the school's gymnasium where they were supposed to be taking pictures.