Our son would be almost a year old before I was home permanently again. 

What if he didn't recognize me?

I watched her stand, keeping her hand on her stomach as she did.

"What are you up to?"

She smiled "I have to go to the bathroom for the seventh time today" she chuckled "I swear he loves to push on my bladder"

"You walk pretty funny now"

"Don't make fun of me; my legs actually really hurt right now" she said, sticking her tongue out at me "I might just soak in the tub for a bit. A warm bath sounds nice"

"Do you want me to get it ready for you?"

She looked at me with loving eyes "I would love that; I really don't want to bend over right now"

I chuckled and stood, following her into the bathroom.

It was common now for me to help her with things that she never needed help with before. She didn't like it at first, but after some time she realized that she needed both Declan and I to help her. 

As I started preparing the bath for her, she slowly sat down on the toilet seat, continuing to groan.

"Are you alright, love?" he asked. 

She nodded "Yes, I'm just having some pelvic and back pain"

I walked over to her as the water ran and knelt down in front of her "Talk to me"

"It might just be Braxton Hicks again"

I took her hands "How frequent has it been going on?"

"Just a couple hours"

I helped her stand and as she did her eyes widened.

"What, what is it?"

She breathing was shaky as she tried to speak "Either I just peed myself or"

"Or?"

She nodded "I think my water broke"

I stood there in shock for a moment, letting my mind process "Okay, okay, we can handle this" I quickly shut off the water and started letting it drain "Declan!"

After not getting an answer, I helped Gracie walk back out into the living room.

"Declan!" I shouted.

He walked in from the kitchen "What?"

"Gracie's water just broke"

"Seriously?"

"No, I'm just fucking with you; yes!" I watched Declan rush to find his keys and I rolled my eyes "We're not taking your car"

"What's wrong with my car?"

Gracie groaned "Do I just need to drive myself?"

Krueger ran around barking at Declan as he got his shoes on and grabbed the hospital bag.

"Meet me in the car" I said, walking out and making my way to the passenger side and helping Gracie get seated.

"I don't have my shoes" she complained.

I saw Declan walking out "Grab Gracie's shoes!"

"Which ones?"

"Any functioning pair" I said, getting in the driver's seat "Are you alright?"

"The baby is on his way" she whispered.

I smiled and rubbed her leg.

Declan jumped into the backseat "I'll call your dad"

"Thank you"

I started driving, feeling excitement and nervous as we got closer to the hospital. I was about to be a father.

Shit.

I was about to be a father. 

---

When we got to the hospital, it didn't take long for the pain contractions to take over. Gracie could barely walk when they hit. 

A room was set up for her and she was given Pitocin, and the epidural shortly after. 

Declan was in charge of calling the others, while I stayed in the hospital room with her. She squeezed my hand a lot, and insisting on pacing around the room. She was definitely stir crazy.

Everyone started arriving one by one. Marcus and Declan were the only ones that she wanted back here, while the others camped out in the waiting room.

After eight -and-a-half hours, Gracie was finally ready to give birth. 

The labor itself lasted a little over forty minutes, but then it finally happened.

Our baby let out a cry, which made both Gracie and I cry from happiness.

Darren Thomas Payne was officially in the world now.