23 - MEMORABLE ESCAPADES

Start from the beginning

"No, I'm serious."

"But I'm serious too. After we finish the last level, we can go home no—"

Unbeknownst to you, Finn pulled your arm next to him, as close as he could just to stumble upon his blue starry eyes. A glint of your luminescent face reflected his gaze. You didn't move at first while watching his pupils follow yours. Eventually, your senses kicked in, remembering the awkward position.

"F-Finn?" your light bound his body, enlightening the pathway to the tunnel with your radiance. Finn slowly let your hand slip from his fingertips, receiving a leisure scan of you from head to toe. He managed to brush his gaze away from you, blushing more and more every time he sees you light the ground and almost everything. 

"I-I don't know about this," you try to utter the words you want to say. 

"We should go now."

You didn't know how your skin radiated in the dimmed cave. Maybe finishing everything, you might want to visit Princess Bubblegum and tell her exactly what happened. 

You remained standing beside Finn, leading his way like some kind of an angel bringing a soul to the staircases of heaven. While being his lantern in the obscure passageway of the tunnel, Finn can't stop watching you by the time he looked down to you to see your face. 

He cannot stop himself from thinking about the whole morning while you were busy slaying your opponents. Now that he sees you glowing, he remembered the time when he was with Flame Princess, pranking the skeletons, slaying every monster, going through tunnels with armor to protect himself from being burned by her flames. 

For some reason, he wanted to stay with you this way while holding his words back from you. All he wanted to blurted out was...

"You're beautiful." 

"Finn?" you snapped him back to reality.

"Shall we find the goblet, now?" you awkwardly beamed then flaunted a short cute pout before even showing your way to the corner just to find the treasure. "Yeah. Sure." Finn grinned from ear to ear, following you to the scattered skeleton bones, boulders, twigs, and garbage—completely forgetting about your unexpected glow. 

———

Somewhere around the ocean...

"Where are we?" the outsider scratched his head, unable to understand the confusing ocean.

"Sir," the assistant leader called for their boss after noticing a floating gray fin from the ocean, shifting around them. He adjusted his binoculars just to see a small shark-like fish wandering around. It showed its figure while grinning widely, flashing most of its pointy teeth. A humongous shark flaunted before them, smiling along with another terrifying sea creature. 

It opened its mouth enough for their ship to fit in. Their leader carefully turned the wheel, zooming out of the shark's sight. 

Everyone from the ship screamed and panicked. They quickly turned their way to any various directions just to escape the tailing shark. They went through every cave, tunnel, and alternative route, still no use. 

The shark trailed them until they were completely lost. 

❇ EXTRA ❇ 

Finn and I sprinted among the bushes and leaves covering our way. We reached an attainable area where everyone is chanting and clinging to one of their weapons: 

A bucket of water? 

I never thought a group of villagers would hunt for someone using a bucket of water instead of a scythe. 

"What are we exactly looking at?" Finn questioned. 

A wailing figure of a pale woman scampered before them. She had fiery updo hair, fading bluish skin, and an indescribable look on her face. I tapped Finn's shoulder to tell him who the villagers were at. He wasn't paying attention so I looked up to him and clung to his hand again. 

"That's Flame Princess..."

Flame Princess? That sounds familiar. 

Oh...

"We gotta save her!" I exclaimed. 

Finn, however, had a gloomy aura. I furrowed my eyebrows and did my best to divert his attention to the princess needing our help. To my dismay, he stood there and quietly watched his ex-girlfriend get sprayed by water. 

"Hey! We need to go. She needs our help."

Finn now held my hand tightly and pulled me beside him. He quickly tugged my arm as we left the woods to save the princess of the Fire Kingdom. 

Turns out, the villagers were angry that she set their houses ablaze in her flames when she wandered off to the grasslands. 

I guess this is my chance to say hi? 

❇️❇️❇️ 

- heavily edited and rewritten