[FS]: Chapter Sixteen: Behind Closed Door

Start from the beginning

"So, we call her Diamond?" I mock.

My brother thwacks me on my back. "Behave. Anyways, besides that, be cautious. We'll be making plans while you attend school. Keep your eyes open for any suspicious activity. I'm afraid to say the Wiltonians might have access to school too."

************************

At 8:45 AM when I enter senior year class, I'm surprised to find Ellie sitting next to some blonde which means one thing, Maahirah isn't at school. God, okay.

After the class, I call Fakhir. "She isn't at school today."

"What? She ditched it?"

"Perhaps yes."

"Okay. That's good. She's safe at her house."

"Hmm, I'll talk to you later."

*********************

At 12:35 PM, I get a text message when I'm sitting in my office sipping coffee (again).

'Iva lookalike is here.'

The three words don't surprise me as much as the sender does. My mobile buzzes again.

'Along with some weird looking guy.'

This sends me to panic mood. Weird looking guy? Who is he?

'Two, actually,'

I frown at this.

'Don't do anything stupid. I'm coming.' I text her back.

I leave the school with an excuse that my mother is admitted in the hospital. The receptionist doesn't question much after that saying she is sorry for that and hope that my mother recovers soon.

I almost scoff at that. Yeah, right. My mother is all better now in a better place.

The ride to Maahirah's house is over 80 mph which can be considered a worthy of ticket. I pull off the mustache and the stupid glasses and that damn as I take the intersection to her street. Parallel parking the car at her driveway, I rush to her door, frantically pressing the doorbell.

"Oh, my God, I wonder who that is." Overly excited, highly chirped voice of Maahirah speaks from the inside.

I put my thumb on the bell again, and push it as far as I can. The chime goes on followed by the scream of a girl and a slamming of a body against the wall next to the door. Before I can react, the door pulls open by a girl. For a second I pause. My mind rushing with names, trying to put a name to her.

Iva is dead. This is Iris. Her step-sister.

"Hey Aayan. Long time no see." She says, her voice vibrates and the hand holding the door knob visibly trembles. Her light brown eyes refuse to meet mine. She has her hair in a bob cut, which doesn't much help in hiding the shock on her face.

A hand reaches out and hauls me in. The door bangs behind me as an arm pushes me against it. "Hey Aayan, so you did reach out to her text. Bring her out." Sebastian points his gun at my temple. He side-steps from me.

A guy holding a knife to Maahirah's throat drags her into the hallway. Tears are gleaming in her eyes and she struggles against his arm.

I take a step towards her.

"Uh-huh, not so fast Aayan." Sebastian draws his hand in front of me.

"Let. Her. Go." I pull his hand which knocks him off his feet, and punch him in the gut. He hisses a curse, and bends over. And, exactly that second, Maahirah screeches as the Guy holding her pushes her down and pierces the knife along the length of her upper arm.