Chapter 25

No, no, no... This can't be happening. This can't be happening... how did I forget the rest of my clothes? I patted around on the counter, searching for the most crucial piece. Where was my mask?! Where was everything-
No... that flicker of presence... it can't be... they wouldn't... would they?

-- Jeff POV --

"I agreed to taking the mask, not all of this!" I exclaimed while pointing at the black clothing BEN had wadded up in his arms. The mask hung from his wrist, tauntingly vacant. A thrill ran up my spine at the thought of finally seeing ______'s face – I've wanted to see it for so long.
But there was also another feeling with that excitement. I felt almost... guilty? No, that couldn't be right. Why would I feel guilty? I was helping _______! Once the mask was finally off, he/she'd feel so much better! I just knew it! Every time he/she admitted something, his/her mood lifted. This would be no different, right?
"Well, if we're going to see him/her, might as well be all of him/her." BEN replied with a snicker, hefting the thick black outfit jokingly.
"I still don't think-" I started to say before we both heard the water shut off in the bathroom. All the proxies in the room looked up with high expectations, straightening up from their positions on the couch and floor in front of the TV. From this angle, we could see clearly down the hallway. We could hear muffled sounds of frustration behind the door but couldn't make out any words.
Suddenly, the bathroom door shook on its hinges as it was banged against.
"BEN!" ______ yelled viciously from behind the door, "get your ass over here and give back my stuff!" he/She seethed from within, voice muffled slightly by the wall. BEN practically giggled next to me, holding up the stolen items for everyone to see. Many tried to stifle their laughter but it was clear, everyone thought this was hilarious.
There was another bang and yelling from within, followed by abrupt silence.
"He/She's going to kill you, BEN, once he/she gets more clothes from our room..." I muttered to him, watching BEN parade around with ______'s items. He flashed a grin at me.
"Just wait." He promised. "There's more!" He exclaimed gleefully. Our attention was drawn to the bathroom as the door flew open with brutal force. A figure dashed out from the bathroom and slammed into the door on the other side. ______ grabbed desperately at the handle but it wouldn't turn...
"BEN... you... locked it." I whispered, feeling the crushing and unknown weight of guilt flood through my veins. He only chuckled next to me. Other killers were gathering around the hallway entry, watching the prank unfold.
_______ was still pulling uselessly on the bedroom handle, freezing when he/she figured out it wasn't going to budge. Despite my guilt, I examined his/her appearance. Curiosity had been eating me alive for weeks. Even before I... tried... to kiss him/her, I've wondered what he/she looked like under those baggy dark clothes...
He/She only had on a black undergarments. From this distance, I could tell his/her __color__ hair was still dripping wet. His/Her body was lean and toned from the training... it was stunning... Stop! Jeff stop those thoughts! He/She doesn't like you back... that beautiful creature doesn't seem to...
His/Her skin was... colorful? Patchy? Was that really bad acne? I leaned forward to try to discern was what on his/her skin.
I felt a slight wind as BEN disappeared from next to me. He then reappeared just as quickly, giggling insanely.
_______ pushed away from the bedroom door and lunged for the bathroom door, slamming into it with her momentum. He/She grabbed at the handle, desperate to get back into the room. But he/she couldn't, BEN had locked that one too. The laughter beside me was no longer muffled; it was outright shaking through the house.
I still couldn't see ______'s face since his/her back was turned to us and his/her shoulders were hunched. As I looked closer I noticed strange discoloration on his/her exposed back. His/Her skin was marred by something....
His/Her back was still to us, hiding his/her face.
"Give it back." He/She muttered coldly, still not turning to us.
I was starting to have serious doubts about this. Sure, Masky and Hoodie had perfectly normal faces but what if ________ really was hiding something? Would it be okay for us to see that? Why the hell did I feel this way? Why did I feel so guilty? Regretful? He/She would feel better once he/she gave up his/her secrets, right?
Right?
"Ha ha! No way! Come and get it!" BEN yelled, barely containing his laughter.
__________'s back arched and he/she let out a frustrated breath. I saw a fine shiver run down his/her body. He/She whirled around to face us and began to stride forward.
The first thing we noticed was the extreme discolored sections all over his/her skin. Over every surface... There were deep scars layered over his/her back, chest, throat, arms, and especially his/her face. They were red and white and purple... deep and jagged. Burn marks also encased his/her legs, arms, and parts of his/her torso. The collection of scars gave a horrifying glance into his/her past – a past he/she obviously didn't want us to know yet.
He/She had tried to tell me...
He/She must have gone through so much pain and neglect...
He/She looked so... so broken.
"Oh shit." I heard from BEN next to me, his smile falling as he took in _______'s appearance. All the proxies around us had gone still and silent, freezing under the discovery of _______'s appearance.
I looked closer at his/her face, noticing the jagged cut in his/her upper lip, revealing part of her teeth. That must have been what I had felt when I tried to kiss him/her...
I saw the large slash across his/her forehead and between his/her eyes. There was also a darkened burnt section of skin near his/her eyes. His/Her face was morphed into a scowl at first but then he/she froze in her approach. His/Her face fell into a mix of depression and pain. He/She looked sick and clutched his/her head like he/she had a headache. Even his/her fingers were crisscrossed with red lines. I was shocked.
We were all shocked.
"I thought I could fucking trust you." He/She spit my words back at us, pain evident in his/her voice. His/Her eyes glanced up and I expected a vicious glare.
But his/her eyes didn't focus on any of us – they stared into a distance no one else could see. His/Her grey eyes narrowed in pain as he/she continued to stare. His/Her eyes were a stormy grey... no, they were entirely grey like a thick mist was over them... Oh no...
No...
All those times he/she didn't seem to be paying attention, how he/she couldn't read those street signs, why he/she couldn't throw a knife straight, why he/she didn't scream when he/she first saw my face... He/She couldn't see.
He/She couldn't see.
He/She never once lied... never once asked for pity... never asked for help...
Oh my god.
"Shit, _______... You're..." my voice tumbled out as I took a step forward with my arm outstretched. He/She flinched back and scowled again. His/Her unseeing eyes fluttered around, trying to locate me even though he/she'd never be able to. His/Her damaged lips pulled back in a feral hiss, displaying his/her white teeth in a snarl.
"Blind. I know." He/She finished for me, aggression rising in his/her voice. "I don't want your pity." He/She barked at us, body tensing in anger. "I don't want anyone's pity or sympathy. Why do you think I wear a fucking mask? For funnies?" He/She accused us. Dark shadows shifted around his/her feet, making us back up. The dark mist lifted slightly, forming a stormy whirl around his/her small and damaged form. We knew what his/her shadows could do. A hint of fear drifted through my mind, mirrored by the nervous faces of the other proxies. I almost wished Slenderman were here... to protect us.
_______ seemed to notice the fear. A sigh came from deep within _______'s chest and he/she forced her muscles to relax their tension. He/She stared in our general direction, anger draining from his/her face as he/she breathed slowly.
"I know you would find out eventually... but I just wasn't ready, Jeff." _______ mumbled. I jumped slightly when I heard my name fall from his/her lips, why did he/she single me out? "I didn't want you to see me... not like this... not yet." he/She ended with a cold expression, turning his/her head to the side and eyes downcast.
He/She walked forward smoothly, the shadows dropping away from his/her form and retreating to their respective corners. He/She held out her hand in front of BEN, expecting his/her items.
BEN quickly handed him/her the mask and black outfit. ______ let out a breath and turned back to the hallway.
He/She strode purposely to the bedroom door, but I could tell he/she wasn't confident. The way he/she walked was stiff and slowed – he/she was barely in control. "Unlock the door." He/She commanded with little emotion. Immediately, BEN teleported inside our room and we heard the lock click open. ________ opened the door and disappeared inside. I heard the quiet click of the door as it was locked from the inside.
I stumbled forward and knocked against the door, conscious of the other proxies departing quickly.
"Hey, ______. Look... I'm so sorr-" I started, desperately wanting to make this up to her.
"Go away." His/Her voice came softly from the other side of the door, sounding dead.
"No!" I cried out, slamming my fist against the door. "I'm sorry! I... I had no idea." My voice wavered, thinking about his/her marred skin and sightless eyes. I thought desperately for a way to make it up to him/her. Anything.
Anything.
"I... Let me help you!" I called out hopefully, forehead braced against the door.
"No. Don't you see this is what I was trying avoid?" He/She called back with renewed pain in his/her voice. "I'm still the same person. I don't need your help, your support, or your pity!" He/She spit out, voice sounding near the door. I heard the shuffle of fabric. The sound of the window creaking open echoed through the room, accompanied by a sudden gust of wind through the bottom of the closed door.
"What are you doing?!" I yelled, rattling the doorknob in an attempt to get in. I heard no reply, only the sound of retreating footsteps.
I pushed away from the door and flung myself towards the main entryway. Barreling through it, I ran into the forest and swung towards where I knew our window to be located. Just as I rounded the corner, I saw a black-clad figure dashing deeper into the forest. I tried to catch up, but ________ was incredibly fast and nearly soundless. I slowed my sprint, gathering air in my lungs.
"Don't leave!" I yelled out at the top of my voice. It echoed back at me eerily, tauntingly. "Come back!" I called out weakly, staring into the forest where ______ once was.
Nothing remained but trees and shadows.

——————————————————————
Lil-magpie
Deviant Art