ᔕI᙭ | TᕼE ᗪIᔕGᑌIᔕE

Comincia dall'inizio

"We were atta-attacked by the Tainos two days ago, and most everyone was killed. I myself was sorely wounded. Thinking that they would take us host-hostage, I pretended to be dead. The rest of prisoners were taken to the deck, and the Tainos Captain and his first m-mate remained below. They were arguing about something, and finally they decided to let the remaining crew, prisoners, and the Ca-captain to live in exchange for the treasure and one prisoner whom they had taken particular interest in." he explained, pathetically.

"Did they say why?" Carson asked urgently.

"From what I understand, they thought that she was a wo-woman in disguise. I always thought that he was too pretty to be a boy." he added.

"Is that all?" he asked, disappointed.

"No. They planned to take her to a prison on Barbados, where they would hold her for ransom."

He was so close! Isabelle had been in this very room mere days before! "Thank you, my friend. You shall be rewarded for your words."

Re-entering the deck, he regarded his men gravely. Striding towards the Captain of the Indigo, he demanded, "Where is the treasure?"

"Captain Reed, we were attacked just two days ago by a Tainos ship. They took all of the treasure and killed most of my crew, as you can well see. I have nothing of value on this vessel." he said, defeated.

Reed heard his crew groan, and he hid a smile. But continuing with the charade, he scowled fiercely and began to pace, setting the crew on edge. They watched his every move, and he exaggerated every motion, pretending that he was deep in thought. At great length, he turned and faced the captain of the Indigo. "I have no qualm with you, Captain, and I have no need of your crew or your ship. I see no reason why more unnecessary blood should be spilt this day. Count yourselves lucky for I am feeling merciful. I want your prisoners and slaves, and then I will give you a half-hour to disappear behind the horizon." He could see the expressions of shock upon all of their faces, including his crew's, without turning to look on them. Then bowing low, Captain Reed returned to the Endurance, followed grudgingly by his crew. Today he had not made many friends, but he was their captain, and they either followed his orders or died. But at the moment, he did not care. Finally he was seeing the fruits of his labor.

Two days later, they pulled into harbor at one of the Grenadine Islands. There they bought new supplies, and although he was reluctant to waste time, he allowed the crew a day of furlough to spend as they pleased. Amber went into town, accompanied by Carson, who bought her several necessities, such as ribbons, jewelry, and even a new frock. They had a pleasant time, but she could see that his thoughts were occupied elsewhere. He had not told her anything that had happened aboard the Indigo, and so she was left to wonder.

The following morning, they set sail for Barbados, and Reed was on edge, barking commands and being short with everyone, even Amber. The crew interpreted it as anger at not obtaining any plunder from the Indigo, and so they spoke to him only when necessary and gave him a wide berth.

Finally after a hard day and half of sailing, they could see the coast of Barbados. That night they circled the island, searching for the prison, and at length, the Captain spotted it. Silently they crept towards the sleeping island, and about a half mile off shore, they anchored the ship. "Do not, under any circumstances leave the ship," Carson told her, as he was strapping on his sword and gun. "If there is any disturbance at all, hide immediately in the secret chamber I showed you. I am not sure what will happen on the island, but I am making no assumptions." He stared at her for a brief moment and then turned to leave.

"Carson!" she called after to him, and she lunged into his arms.

At first he was caught off guard, but slowly his arms circled about her, crushing her gently to his chest. "I pray that you return in all safety. May God bless your endeavors," she said quietly.