ᖴIᐯE | TᕼE ᔕEᑕᖇETᔕ

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

She smiled, and he couldn't help returning the gesture. "Why Captain Reed, is that a smile?" she asked teasingly.

"It is, and it's a rare happening so don't count on seeing it often."

"Well, you should do it more. It makes you appear so much more welcoming."

"I will keep that in mind." He then stood and strode from the cabin without a glance behind him.

The following evening Amber stood on the deck, enjoying the sensation of the wind whipping against her face. Some men sat in a huddle by the main mast, drinking, gambling, and telling stories. For a moment she eavesdropped on their tales but found no interest. Her full attention was on the stars, and she gazed intently at the sky. The moon shone brightly, its eerie beams rained down, and a chill raced through her. Suddenly she heard her name spoken softly behind her.

She turned to find one of the men starring at her. He was young, no older than Phil, but he was tall and had a strong build. Slowly he approached her and said, "We were wondering if you would like to join us. But I will understand if you decline the offer."

She was opening her mouth to say no, but something in his gaze caused her to reconsider. A few seconds passed before she replied, "Thank you, I will."

They walked back over to the group, and she was offered a seat on an ale keg. "We were actually wondering if you knew any stories."

"I don't know any stories," she hesitated, "-but I can dance."

At this she saw the all too familiar fire leap into their gazes, and instead of being intimidated, she was only spurned on. Somewhere she heard the soft strains of a crude flute and gradually a tambourine joined in. She stood, compelled by the music, and slowly, ever so slowly, she began to dance.

Captain Reed, hearing the music, had come up onto the deck, glancing around, his eyes fell on her. Her hair was waving in the wind, and her skirts billowing around her as she twirled. The jewelry she was wearing jingled seductively, and he found that he could not rip his eyes from her, no matter how hard he tried.

Her surroundings began to melt away, and suddenly she was no longer on a ship in the middle of the ocean, being held captive by the most notorious pirate of the seas; she was in her place of calm, the place where turmoil, sadness, and strife did not exist. All she heard was the continuous beat of the tambourine and the mellow sound of the flute. She threw herself into the dance, listening to the music and letting her body guide her. She closed her eyes and twirled, embracing the spinning sensation until she felt that she would fall over, and then she abruptly stopped, feeling the world spin about her.

Suddenly the ship lurched, and she was thrown off balance. Her head was still spinning, and she clumsily fell and landed in the lap of the young man who had asked her to join them. He blushed crimson, as did Amber, and she quickly stood, smoothing her skirts and smiling sheepishly. "I apologize, sir. I had no intention of-"

"There is no need for apology. How could you be sorry for something that is not your fault?" he asked, genuinely.

At a loss of words, she left the group and returned to the railing where she gulped large gasps of the cool night air. She felt the humiliation churning in her stomach, and she scolded herself for appearing vulnerable before such men. Why did you even think of dancing for them? You could be endangering yourself by putting such thoughts into their heads!

She was so engrossed in her thoughts that she did not even hear him approach. "You were wonderful." She turned to find the young man. "Please, don't be embarrassed. It's just that we don't-well that is to say-it is not often that we are in the company of respectable ladies."