Chapter 1- Losing Tillie Grayson.

Edited 05-06-2020.

Enjoy the first Chapter!

__________

Chapter 1- 

Tillie Grayson changed my life.

She did not pull me out from in front of a bus, or give me the Heimlich or anything, but she changed my life in a big way.

When I met Tillie, I was a 14-year-old kid who was terrified at the idea of High School. It sounded like torture and I wanted nothing to do with it. My parents had died in a car accident 2 years before and since then, it had just been my Aunt Stacy and me.

When my Aunt Stacy had been offered a promotion that entailed moving to Miami, I was terrified. I had lived in my house my entire life, in Houston. My parents had met there, been married there, gave birth to me there and lived with me until their deaths there. That house meant everything, it had history. Memories. Funny stories, sad stories, scary stories. I was leaving everything I knew behind.I did not have a choice though; my aunt Stacy deserved this opportunity and I could not stand in the way of that.

One month later we were packed and moving into a bigger house thousands of miles away. I cried for 2 days. A kid could only handle so much, and boys can cry too, ya know.

Two weeks after moving to the sunshine state I had to start my freshmen year.I knew no one, had met no one, and it did not look promising.Except for Tillie. 

Tillie had thought I was someone, even if she was considered popular. She was the nicest person I had ever met.

Walking into my Freshmen homeroom, I was surprised I hadn't peed my pants yet. But amazingly I refrained.Next thing I knew- This slender, pale girl walked in and I was captivated. Not by her looks, or her bright blue eyes, or shiny light brown hair. I was caught in her stare because it seemed like she could see right through me. Have you ever looked at someone, and just felt like they could bring nothing but peace and happiness to your life? Yeah, me either. Well; not until that day.

I had known for a year that I was gay at that point, so if you asked me today- I still couldn't tell you why we clicked instantly. 

Without hesitation she walked up to me and asked, "This seat taken?" 

When I shook my head no she sat down and put her books on the table like she did this every day. Which you could tell she didn't, because looking around the room you could see that people were staring, and not in a good way really.

She turned to me with a smile and held out her hand "Tillie Grayson, and you are?"
I shyly grabbed her hand and replied with "Erik Henderson." She smiled widely and shocked me with her next statement.

"I think we're going to be good friends Erik Henderson." And she turned around to face the teacher, acting as if she had not just said the weirdest thing on the planet.
She was right though, of course. We were best friends, up until the day both of our lives were forever changed.

Tillie and I did everything together. She was even my first kiss, which made us laugh for hours. We went to the football games, while I moaned and groaned about how smelly and packed it was, while secretly glancing the buns of steel always visible on the field. I went to movies with her, went shopping with her- which she thought was just adorable after I confessed my sexuality. We had Friday movie night, and Saturday morning pancake eating contests.

I washed her hair and she helped me dress like a normal person. She always said I had no taste whatsoever. She was right. Being gay, did not guarantee I knew what to wear.

She always said I was hopeless after I admitted that, but we both know she loved making me look presentable every day.

Four years later and we were graduating high school. Finally. Tillie was still my best friend, my everything. Her friends had learned to accept me by sophomore year, although they still said they never understood our relationship. That was okay with me if Tillie was there.