Chapter 2

"It all started when Shiningkit was born. He was born to two warriors, Greyfire and Cyresscloud. He had a brother and two sisters. Their names were Stormedkit, Hollowkit, and Daisykit. Then there was Freezingkit born to Smallstar and Blueblaze." The elder explained and my eyes widened.

"She was the daughter of Smallstar? That's awesome!" I exclaimed as I heard that. She was the first leader's kit!

"Yes, she was. She wasn't the only one but she was the strongest. If this had been a clan like in the story I will tell you later, she would have been the next leader." Heavyclaw told me and I cocked my head to the side confused.

"How would that have happened? She was just a kit. Didn't she have to be a deputy to become the leader of the clan?" I asked him rather confused on it. That was the only way I knew how a cat could become the leader of a clan. It didn't make sense that just because she was the leader's kit that she could rule.

"Those were different times. They had different rules. They had a leader but he or she was called the King or Queen respectively. They had a deputy but the deputy would only rule if the queen did not have a kit or the kit was not able to rule yet. If the queen had a kit, he or she would be called the heir and would then take over the clan. The youngest that an heir could take over is at twelve moons." The old tom explained to me. I nodded looking at him.

"That sounds so much more confusing. I'm glad the times have changed or no one except for the leader's kit would have a chance at ruling." I said shaking my head. Their times were so weird. No wonder their whole clan dissolved and isn't around anymore.

"They had the chance, but it was even smaller than the deputies chance now. Not all leaders had kits, so then the deputy would take over. It was just rare for a deputy to be picked and become the leader." Heavyclaw explained and I nodded.

"How long ago was this?" I asked him curiously. I might be able to figure out if I could find someone older that was alive during that time if it wasn't too long ago.

"Oh, it was seasons and seasons ago. No one is alive from that time. There is no trace of what happened to them except for the one story they left behind of a warrior that dissolved the clan." He said flicking his tail.

"Cheetahkit! It's late out. Come on, you need to be in the nursery!" I heard my mother yowl for me. I frowned and looked at the elder.

"I'll be back tomorrow with another piece of prey. What do you want?" I asked him quickly as I headed out of the den.

"Get me another sparrow! I like those." He called to me before I went to the nursery.