Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

This was a stupid idea. I was an idiot to ever think Ellie could handle being outside. I should have gotten over myself, and just stayed in the house.

"Ellie!" I shouted, as I managed to catch up to him and wrap both my arms around his waist. His body was cold, and shaking with what I assumed was uncontrollable rage. He can't handle other people, but that doesn't make sense. If he can't handle being near people, how was it that he was able to get along with me so quickly, or even at all?

He was desperately trying to pry my arms off him. Yanking them, scratching them, but I held on tight, despite the many cuts he was making on my arms from his fingernails. I noticed the black substance in his veins get darker and darker and my heart began racing quicker as each shade dropped.

"Ellie!" I yelled again, for what seemed like the millionth time. I wasn't sure what to say to stop him, or what to do. "Stop this right now!"

He ignored me.

I began fumbling through my memory for something I've said to him in the past that broke him out of a trance. Something that he didn't like, or maybe liked too much. I thought about Frank Sinatra, I thought about bribing him with sweets like candy and cakes, but I knew none of that would work.

What the hell could his off switch be?

He seemed to forget I was still holding onto him, or at least stopped caring, as he gripped a board from the fence, and tried to yank it back in an attempt to break it. I couldn't believe his sudden strength as he easily snapped one board in half with one hand. I knew if I didn't stop him now, I wasn't going to ever be able to do so.

Without a second thought, I said the first thing that came to my mind. The only thing I knew would piss him off. Calling him by his true name. "Three Eleven Thirteen, I said stop, now!" I ordered in a tone so menacing I didn't believe it was actually me.

He halted, and suddenly, the fast pace of the world paused.

"How dare you break the rules and go near the fence? You disobeyed me!"

He turned his head from the fence, to me. We made eye-contact, despite his eyes being a pure black. "Three Eleven Thirteen." I repeated, knowing it was the only thing that stopped him. I sound angry, but I'm more terrified than anything. I can't let him know that. "You are being very, very, bad. You are acting like an animal." Just like that, the monstrous look on his face faltered, and I saw something else instead, an expression I couldn't read.

I desperately want to believe he can control himself, but after this, I find myself doubting it could ever happen. The innocent act that he has everyday can't be the real him. This is the real him, this savage creature with an urge to kill. How can he go from innocent to vicious in a matter of seconds?

"Get in the house right now." I pointed to the back door. He blinked at me, but didn't move. It wasn't until I tried to reach out and grab hold of his arm, that he quickly backed away from me. Like he didn't want me to touch him. I couldn't believe what I was feeling, but seeing him look at me like I was the monster, really hurt.

He slowly walked back into the house, his black eyes never leaving mine as he did so. We stared at each other, and I was wondering if this was his way of challenging me. Eventually, he was out of sight into the house, leaving me to stand alone in the backyard to reflect on what just happened. I couldn't have hurt his feelings, he was the one disobeying, he was the one trying to attack a group of kids. Was it because I said he was bad, or because I called him an animal? Or both? Whatever it was, it snapped him out of his fury.

I glanced through the hole in the fence that Ellie made by breaking the board. The kids were gone, they must had left when the one child began crying. I thanked God for not allowing them to see what happened.

Hopefully the neighbors won't complain about the broken fence when they see it.

I headed back into the house, along with the feeling of dread rising within me. Having to face Ellie again isn't something I'd willingly do, not now, not ever. But, I have to.

I walked into the living room, where Ellie was nonchalantly painting the wall as he usually does. Other than the soft pattered noise of the paintbrush hit the solid wall, the room was silent. What do I do? Apologize? Scold him? Casually forget it every happened?

I took a step closer to him, and opened my mouth to say something. I was surprised when it wasn't me who spoke, but him.

"Three Eleven Thirteen." He said, gently placing the paintbrush down, he turned and looked at me. Suddenly, I felt I was put in the spotlight.

"I know you don't like to be called that." I admitted, "But I had to stop you somehow."

"You had to stop me." He said, in a tone so emotionless, a chill ran down my spine. "Why did you stop me?"

"You were going to hurt those children."

"I could have hurt them." There was a look on his face, a look that sent the entire room clouded with a thick sense of uneasiness.

"Then why didn't you?" The question slipped out before I could stop it.

He blinked, "Three Eleven Thirteen." He said again, "I almost forgot."

"Forgot what?"

"That I am Three Eleven Thirteen."

"No," I correct him, "You are Ellie."

"No," he replies almost instantly, "I don't think so."

"Can you control it, Ellie? The black stuff in your veins?" The question slips out before I realize I'm even thinking it.

He stared at me, a few seconds longer. His eyes still black like coal, and his veins protruding from his pale skin. Without a word he turned, picked up the paintbrush, and continued painting the wall. The silence he emitted was enough of an answer to confirm my question.