A picture frame sat on top of the dresser. A man and a boy stood on a baseball field. The little boy beamed at the camera while the man had his hands placed on the boy's shoulders as he smiled down at him. He looked like an older version of Reece. They had much of the same features. They looked so happy in the picture. It made me wonder how he died.

"You ready for breakfast?" Reece asked, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Can I have a brush or something first?" 

He chuckled softly and exited the room. In a few moments he entered and handed me a comb.

I combed out the tangles the best I could, feeling very awkward as Reece watched me.

"Ok," I said as I put the comb down and stood up. 

Reece stood up with me and watched me closely. "Still doing ok? No nausea or dizziness?"

I shook my head but smiled at him gratefully. "No. I'm fine."

As I walked over to the door, I felt Reece's hand at the small of my back, sending shivers through my entire body. I hope he didn't notice. 

"Just a warning," he whispered in my ear as I reached for the door handle. "My mom's a bit strange."

I snorted. "Aren't we all?"

He rose an eyebrow. "You haven't met my mother yet," was the last thing he said before we walked out of the room.

The smell of bacon hit my nose and my stomach growled, realizing just how hungry it was. We wandered into the kitchen and Reece cleared his throat.

"Mom, this is Lilah," he said, still standing so close to me that are arms brushed.

The woman turned around with a big smile on her face. "Hi! It's so nice to meet you!" she said as she came forward and wrapped her arms around me, practically shoving Reece away from me in the process. 

I was a bit shocked at how up front she was. I lightly wrapped my arms around her too. "Um, it's nice to meet you too Mrs. Matthews."

She pulled away slightly so I could see her features better. She had straight, dirty blond hair with rosy cheeks and a wide, welcoming smile. If it weren't for the same, golden brown color of her eyes I wouldn't have even thought that they were related. 

"You know, Reece never lets me meet any of the girls he brings home," she said in a not-so-quiet whisper.

"Mom!" Reece groaned as he face palmed his forehead.

"What? It's true!" I covered my mouth to prevent from laughing. Wonder why that is. "But don't worry, I can already tell that you're one of the good ones around here," she winked at me before turning back to the stove. 

I rose an eyebrow in Reece's direction but he just crossed his arms and had a sour look on his face.

I sat down at the breakfast bar attached to their counter and Reece took a seat beside me.

"It's also good that you are looking out for my baby," she said as she turned around to slide some eggs onto a plate. "He thinks he's so tough, and that he can do it all," she said with an eye roll.

"I do not," Reece protested. "And I'm not a baby, Mom."

She just ignored him and leaned in closer as she put her hand up to block him out. "All men are like that. It's utterly ridiculous," she said as she handed me a plate full of eggs and bacon. "And you'll always be my baby," she said as she pointed at him. I grinned as he shook his head. "Speaking of babies, are you two sexually active?"