Chapter 22 - Mare's Song

Start from the beginning

I smile sadly because my father has noticed my change of mood. I’m not good at hiding my emotions, at pretending to feel like nothing is happening. I can’t wear a smile when I’m sad for things that are happening.

“I’m okay, Dad. It’s just that… things don’t go like we always want,” I tell him and instead of putting him at ease, he looks more concerned.

“Princess, what’s happening?” he asks and I take a deep breath.

“Nothing, Dad. It’s not serious, something we tried but it didn’t go as planned. That’s all.”

Father stays quiet for a while, watching me and thinking of what to say. I know he’s trying really hard. He has the same expression he always has when he wants to tell me something encouraging and important. Before it was my mum’s job to give the pep talk and she did with all my sisters, so when Dad had to take that role he learnt how difficult it was.

“Whatever it is, Princess, you need to remember that things happen for a reason. I know it’s hard to accept it and we wish it wouldn’t be like that, but better things come out later, even if we can’t fathom them at the beginning,” he says with a warm smile and reaching to grab my hand. “Maybe this is how it had to happen, maybe this door had to close so other could open. Just don’t let the disappointment keep you from seeing the new door that has opened for you.”

A new and different smile comes to my lips and I squeeze Dad’s hand, realising he’s right. “That’s true, Dad. Thank you,” I tell him and I even leave my chair to go and hug him, for telling me the words I needed to hear.

“There’s always another way, Ariel,” he reminds me and I nod, pulling back to smile at him with new found hope.

I really want to be a songwriter, even if I can’t perform my own songs. I want to do this and if Mare hasn’t given up yet although she’s been rejected many times, then I can’t give up now either. I have to keep trying and I shouldn’t be afraid because I have Mare. We’re a team and we can do this. We just need to keep trying, someone will hear you. We’ll get to that right person.

“Thank you, Dad,” I say one more time before I go back to my chair and we finish our dinner.

At night, after I leave my home and I go to the retreat centre I’m already coming up with some lyrics in my mind and I keep developing them, the music and the lyrics, as I clean the room and tune the instruments. I hum and change words to make it sound better and once I’m done, I can finally sit in front of the piano and play it, changing more things as I can finally hear it. I even borrow some sheets to write it down.

It’s not a love song, it’s not a song about feeling down; it’s a song to give you hope, a song that tells you that even if it didn’t work out, there’s still another way, there’s still a chance. It’s probably the most uplifting and catchiest song I’ve ever written and I can actually see Mare in my head, dancing and making the crowd jump up and down with her. I know she’s the only one who could make this song come to life. She has the energy, she has the charisma to make this song what I see in my mind. This song is for her. This song is a reflection of her, a positive person, someone who doesn’t give up, someone who keeps fighting because if one door closes, another opens and if there’s no other door, there’s a window and she’ll open it.

This is Mare’s song.

I keep working on it, realising that playing it on the guitar is so much better and by when I finally finish it, I’m laughing and I feel full of energy. This song was what I needed.

I hear clapping and only then I realise Mare’s been standing there, watching me and her smile is beautiful and wide. “That was amazing. I love the song!”

“It’s for you,” I say. “I wrote it for you.” She looks utterly surprised and touched and she runs to hug me.

“Thank you,” she says. “No one has ever done something so nice for me.”

“My pleasure,” I reply in all honesty. “Now, let’s practice it together because with this song you’ll get that deal.”

“We,” she corrects me with a smile.

“We’ll get that deal,” I agree.

-:-:-

Dedication to @MariahLynnOfficial. You are right to suspect something big is going to happen with Ariel. She's the key for the whole story. The solution and the problem.

Bel, xx

PS: you're so badass xD you commented on the note before. I'm reading all your comments and then I'll delete it. Rebels.

NU: Friday