Falling Away

[Song: Falling Away by Our Last Night]

The Skype call froze periodically, enough to annoy both of the men using it. The camera quality could never give justice to their features in person. Physical contact was something they craved from each other, but couldn't have since they live in two different countries.

It was late on Ian's end, but still early for Max. Ian was growing tired, tired in the sense of sleep and the sense of wanting the complications to end.

"I can't fucking take this," Ian groaned through the static. "Stupid piece of shit fucking app that doesn't fucking work at all."

"Ian," Max's sad voice broke through. "I-I understand if you want to break things off because of how hard it is..."

Ian was quiet, if you didn't know any better you would've thought the call froze again but it didn't. Ian wasn't even in front of the camera anymore.

"Ian?" Max called.

The call ended suddenly. Max felt a tear slide down his cheek. He loved Ian so much, he just wanted to be with him.

××××

Max woke up the next morning to the sounds of his front door opening. He closed his eyes and curled up in his blanket, thinking it was just one of his friends coming over unannounced.

The feeling of arms around him started him though. He turned to the source and nearly burst out into tears of joy as Ian was right there next to him.

"Hey Maxy," Ian smiled.

"Ian," Max said excitedly as he hugged Ian.

"I'll never leave you for that long again," Ian promised.

"I never want you to leave at all," Max whispered.

"I wouldn't dream of it," Ian said as he kissed Max's forehead.