Lachlan was furious.

Kirstin gulped once more, and shakily took a step back only to have him follow her. The actions were repeated several more times before she had pressed herself against the edge of a counter. Lachlan came so close to her that their chests were just barely touching.

"I can explain." Kirstin rushed. She already knew what he wanted to know, due to Roderick's brief warning.

His eyes seemed to grow darker and his voice was lowered several pitches as he growled out through clenched teeth, "Can ye now?"

The timid girl nodded, "Aye."

"Please," he said, "Please do, Kirstin. For whenever my presence is known, ye rush to another room. When ye see me in the hall, ye turn the corner. And when I demand yer appearance, ye donna show. Why have ye been avoiding me?"

"Because," she breathed, "I have been busy with my duties as a servant."

Kirstin was naturally a good liar but something crossed Lachlan's face, telling her that he had caught the lie. He pressed his body harder against hers and brought his lips to her ear. His breath tickled her, causing shivers to rake down her spine.

"What have I told ye about lying to me?" he whispered lowly.

Kirstin was speechless. The person who she feared most had caught her, and the worst part was that she was trapped between his body and the counter.

"Care to try again?" he whispered once more. Heat was radiating from his body, and she knew that he was fuming.

"Nay," Kirstin choked, "I canna." By now, she could feel the frustration welt up inside of her. How could she explain to him that she knew how he felt towards her? It was wrong. He was her laird, and she was his servant. Surely nothing good would come out of it?

Something in him changed after she said those words. His body relaxed and his shoulders dropped. She could feel his breath trailing lower, to the area of her neck below her ear, "Is it," he began, "because of this?"

At that very moment, Lachlan did not hesitate to press his lips against her bare neck. It was a tender kiss, one that was soft to her skin. He did it again, trailing lower, and then another time. When Kirstin did not object, even though it was from shock, he took her silence as a sign to continue.

His lips parted just briefly, enough for the kiss to become wet and more passionate. Kirstin found herself instinctually wrapping her arms around him, pressing him more into her.

She could feel Lachlan grin against the kiss when she did that, approving of her reaction. The heated moment lasted only a few more minutes, even though it felt like hours, before he finally withdrew.

Lachlan nuzzled his chin atop of her head, and held her close to his strong body. His bulging arms wrapped around her in the hug, and Kirstin only felt protected in his embrace. As wrong as it was for them to be together, it only felt so right.

Finally, Lachlan placed a sweet kiss to her head and whispered, "I ken why ye have been avoiding me so." And then with two more firm words, he said, "No more hiding from me."

He let go of her after that. Kirstin almost whimpered when his arms left her body, which not only surprised her but also terrified her.

As Lachlan spared her one last glance, he left the room. She stood frozen in place, stunned at what had just happened between them. Most importantly, Kirstin found herself astonished by how she had melted into him like butter. She had never responded towards any man as she did with Lachlan.