Chapter 9

"I can't believe you Drew!" I spat, crossing my arms and glaring at him.

"Look I'm sorry Y/N! I honestly didn't mean to! I can't fix it-"

"No, there's absolutely no way you can fix this! That was my sheet music for the competition! I'll have to figure out a way to rewrite it all, or to just start over!" Tears we're starting to form, threatening to fall. I worked so hard on it too, and he just crumpled it up and threw it out the window?

"Y-You still have time right? To fix it?" He was frantic, and I knew he was sorry, but I was just to shocked and hurt to understand.

"I have a week Drew. I have a week to write, practice, and rewrite any changes...I might as well just not enter." I turned away for the door.

"Y/N! You can't just quit while you're ahead! You've worked so hard-"

"And you ruined it. Look, I'm going for a walk. See you later." And I left. Without another word. Slamming the door in my wake. It undoubtedly got the attention of my neighbor, but I was too pissed off to really care.

I stormed my way out of the apartment complex and walked towards the market, where behind it, was a small park with a smaller pond. This place would get my mind off of it, maybe I can even think of something to preform instead.

I heaved myself over to the bench next to the water and sighed. No one was here, and it wasn't surprising. This place was like a guarded secret to those who knew it. The apartment I lived in wanted that place to be kept clean and quiet. Not like the other park that resided about 5 blocks away.

I didn't hear any footsteps, or the ruffling of clothing, but by the time I turned to look at the flowers, I was met by the chocolate brown eyes and poofed red hair that belonged to my neighbor. He seemed worried and it reminded me of Drew.

Damnit...

I didn't even know what I was doing in that moment. I just knew that I was crying and seeking consolation from Mark by a hug. I cried into his shoulder, pulling tightly at his shirt. He hugged me back and rubbed circles on my back, trying to comfort me.

And holy hell did it work.

"Are you okay?" He asked me softly, almost in a whisper. I nodded against him as an answer, making him smile against my head. "What happened? If uh, you don't mind me asking..."

I pulled away and dried my eyes before heaving a heavy sigh.

"It's Drew, I know he didn't mean it, but." I stuck my hands in my pocket, fiddling with the fabric inside. "He destroyed my sheet music I had just finished."

"He destroyed it? How?"

"He crumpled it in a ball and threw it out the window, I caught him with the last page..." I pulled my hands out of my pocket and set it on my thigh.

"That sounds like he did it deliberately, did something happen beforehand?"

"Nothing I knew of. He was perfectly normal. Happy, you know?" I sighed. "It's just hard for me to think he would do that..." I looked towards the pond, finally tearing my gaze to Mark's beautiful brown eyes.

"I haven't known him for long, but I can agree. Have you tried talking to him?"

I only shook my head in response. I could sense Mark was staring at me, but I didn't turn around to face him back. I did, however, turn around when I felt his warm hand on top of mine. I snapped my head around to face him, the blood rushing to my cheeks. I saw him looking down at out hands together, an ever so slight patch of red on his own cheeks.

"I uh, can help you compose if you want...I was going to surprise you by going to Contest to see you, but now that you don't have any music, you're going to need all the help you can get." He never looked back up, shocked by his actions perhaps, I mean, I surely was.

"I-I mean only if you want to Mark...I d-don't want to keep you away from important matters..."

"This is important to me.." he said more to himself. I could tell he was saying that in his head, and that it wasn't supposed to fall upon my ears, but it did anyway. I blushed even more. "Of course Y/N. It's what friends do." He finally raised his face to mine. God he was gorgeous. I curled my hand around his own and squeezed it. Smiling, the both of us got up and started towards our apartment building, our hands still laced together.