~Chapter nine~

Idonea woke up suddenly; not from a nightmare or intruders upon her camp. It was the stillness. The silence that woke her.

She turned and saw Arrow was standing by and looking straight ahead, her large eyes blinked and her ears twitched.

"So it did happen." She said. She had half hoped to have woken up in her comfortable bed at home where everything made sense. Seeing Arrow  confirmed everything.

She suddenly stood up. How long had she been asleep? What time was it? She glanced up at the blue sky to see the sun was not yet at its full height.
What had happened to Eladrion? More importantly, what happened to her parents? To Pippin? All these questions buzzed around her mind, like pesky bees. She knew that letting her mind linger on them would do her no good. Whatever had happened was done, she could only focus on the now.

From the saddle bag she pulled out the water skin and a piece of dried meat. Arrow was pleased enough to make a meal of the grass. After a hurried breakfast, she wiped her fingers on her dress and mounted Arrow.

"Father would be pleased to know how easily I can mount a horse. Perhaps, after this is over, we can ride together..."

Idonea felt her heart ache. All those sunny afternoons her father had patiently tried to teach her to ride, to rid whatever fear she held against the animal. It had taken a disaster to get her to ride. Her mind was going places it should not, but she couldn't stop. We could have went riding together. All three of us, but now...

Idonea shook her head and urged Arrow to go. "There is still hope. There must be hope." She whispered.

The Duradan forest stood before the horse and rider. There was a certain sensation of emptiness about it and it gave her pause. The path through the forest lay before her and she  hesitated to take it.

Arrow shook her head and gave a snort. Idonea patted the horse's neck to calm her. She then urged the horse onward, through the forest.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Idonea's eyes darted around the forest and through the pine trees. There was no movement, no sound. It was as if the inhabitants were ignoring her or even, gone.

She resolved to not stop, if anything, she wanted to race out of there. Rohan was not far and she desired to arrive sooner rather than later. Arrow trotted onward and Idonea had to trust that if the horse did not sense any danger, then she had no reason to fear.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The following morning Idonea was grateful to see the Duradan forest come to an end. The way had been long and they barely stopped to rest. A few times, when the girl's imagination would play tricks on her, she spurred Arrow into a gallop.

It was early, the sunrise still in a burst of color, when they exited the forest. Idonea felt a sense of accomplishment having come this far alone.

She rubbed Arrow's neck. "We will have a proper rest once we make it to Rohan." She assured the horse.

Onward they went, Idonea keeping her sight on the road ahead, with only the aid that was to come from Rohan. She could see it all now. Standing before King Eomer in the Golden Hall of Meduseld, pleading her cause. At once, Eomer would stand from his throne and prepare men to ride out to Gondor. Arrow would be comfortably cared for by one of the stable boys and Idonea would be given a room of her own. She and her parents would be later reunited and Pippin, the nobel halfling, would be given honor for not only rescuing Idonea, but in the long run, bringing back aid. After all, Idonea wouldn't have gotten far without Pippin.

The ride to Edoras, the capitol city of Rohan, was a pleasant one as Idonea let her thoughts play over and over in her mind.

Before she knew it, the great structure of Meduseld was within sight. Idonea's eyes light up at seeing her destination so close. In one swift movement, she dug her heels in to Arrow's side. The horse took off flying. The wind in Idonea's face felt cool and refreshing as she leaned in the saddle and held on tightly to the reins.

Closer and closer, Meduseld came into view. Suddenly Idonea noticed the wisps of smoke that hovered over the palace. Her heart quickened and she urged Arrow to go faster. Images of smoke escaping the windows of Minas Tirith were brought back to memory and she slowly felt all her hopes sinking.

The smell of burning wood and flesh was strong now. Fear crept into her heart and she dreaded what she was about to see. Idonea pulled back on the reigns quickly, as Edoras lay before them. The city was built on a large rocky hill surrounded by grass land.

Idonea looked on at the dreadful sight. Buildings were destroyed, burnt down and left smoldering. Bodies, young and old, women and children, littered the dead grass Smoke seemed to cover the land. Idonea locked eyes on the once great palace. Much of the walls were missing, revealing the Golden Hall, that now was tarnished. It looked as if a great and cruel army had swept through.

'Is this what Gondor looks like now?'  She thought bitterly.

Numbly, she let Arrow walk through the destruction. The horse avoided the many obstacles and went slowly. Idonea could not help but stare. At the homes, the still-burning fires, and the dead. Her eyes flickered over the cold lifeless faces. Most looked as if death had been one of great pain and fear.

More than once, Idonea allowed her sight to play hurtful games, as she thought she saw her parents faces in those of the dead. Pippin appeared as well, his kind sweet face bloodied and still. Merry also, along with the others who had been at the banquet. King Elessar, Queen Awren, Goldilocks and her husband. And Eladrion.

'Where is Eladrion? He said Middle Earth was dying. He also said he would return. Maybe I should go back to Gondor.'

At that moment something happened that spooked Arrow. Before Idonea could realize what was happening, Arrow reared back on her back legs. Idonea felt the ground leaving further and further away. It was all she could do to hang on and not cry out.

Arrow landed, rattling the ground and jarring her rider. The city flew by as Arrow was racing down the path, not heeding Idonea's orders to stop. Idonea gripped the reins and held on for the ride.

After some time, her grip began to slip. In one swift movement, Arrow jumped over an obstacle before them. Idonea was unprepared for the leap and found herself falling. She hit the ground hard, landing on her back. The sound of horse hooves thundered further and further away.

She was being left behind in the city of death. A combination of grief and hopelessness overtook the girl. She had no will to get up or call out. The weight of her situation took over and she slipped into darkness.

A/N

finally a new update!!! So sorry for the long wait.