~Chapter three~

Takes place in Archet of Bree just before the attack on the Shire

In the small village of Archet, most homes were dark inside, the inhabitants sound asleep. Yet, there were two; who, after a very filling and satisfying dinner, had decided to sit outside and relax in the warm summer night air.

"It is a lovely night." Lindar said with a peaceful sigh once she was comfortable in her seat.

Wacion, her older brother, turned to look at her.

"Yes it is. Would you like me to describe it for you?"

Lindar replied, "I would like to describe it for you instead."

"Alright." Wacion fought to leave his amusement out of his tone but should have known Lindar would have spotted it right off.

"I amuse you, brother?" She asked in a teasing manner.

He smiled and answered.  "Not at all, please begin."

Lindar closed her eyes and then she began, "It is a clear and cloudless night. No stars, even the moon refuses to show itself. The air is still and warm. No breeze. Nothing stirs."

Wacion watched Lindar proudly as she spoke confidentiality as if she could truly see. Though blind from birth, she had grown strong in other ways of observation. That was one of the qualities he loved best about his sister. Her strong determination.

"Just as it truly is." He spoke once she had finished.

Lindar smiled and said nothing. Suddenly her smile dropped. She stood and sniffed the air. From the look of concern on her face, it was clear something was wrong.

Wacion felt himself stiffen as he sat up straighter in his chair and asked, "Lindar, what is wrong?"

"Fire. I smell fire." She replied, still testing the air for the scent.

Wacion stood as well and looked around for the source.

"I do not-" he stopped as a glowing color in the distance caught his eye.

Lindar knew from the sudden interruption that her brother had noticed something.

"What do you see?" She asked urgently.

"There is a fire and it is large, for I can see it from here. It seems to be in the west."

As Wacion gazed at the growing flames, fear clutched his heart. It was mostly a fear for the safety of Lindar.

"We should leave." He said abruptly.

"Leave?" She questioned.

Wacion turned from the fiery scene and laid a hand on Lindar's shoulder.

"The fire is growing. It may travel here."

Lindar nodded slowly. The tone in her brother's voice was brimming with worry. She knew that to argue would be pointless.

"Alright, but shouldn't we warn others?"

She was surprised to hear a sigh escape his lips. "Go next door to warn Mrs. Needler."

Lindar nodded and made her way down the marked pathway. Wacion had wanted to make sure that his sister was never trapped at home due to her lack of vision. It had been a laborious task, but he had carefully made a path from their home that lead to their kindly neighbor, Mrs. Needler. The path was set with rocks that had been sawn in half and smoothed down. Lindar, who preferred to travel barefoot, had used this path so often that she could do it without a second thought.

Wacion watched his little sister leave, then he headed inside to pack a few provisions.

"No telling how long we will be gone." He muttered to himself as he opened a knapsack and began to pack.

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Little time had passed when Lindar returned breathless and wide-eyed.

"The fire is much worse! I just know something terrible has happened."

Wacion closed the flap of the now full knapsack and looked up at his sister.

"What of Mrs. Needler?"

"She is not home. Or at least she did not answer the door."

Wacion said nothing in reply. His mind was buzzing with questions that he had no answers for. He knew there was no time to attempt to master this puzzle. Not while there was even a hint of doubt of Lindar's saftey.

"We must go now." He stated.

Lindar nodded. She felt her brother's strong yet gentle hand take hold of hers. Together the two fled their home from the unknown blaze.

A/n

OK guys. I need some serious feedback. This is the start of the ocs and I would truly appreciate some feedback on what you thought. I've never made middle earth ocs before and I'm kinda nervous...

Hope you all liked this chapter, and yay, no one died! (Technically)