Suspension

I turned to Bon, his features hard for me to make out. "Are you sure you can't call anyone?"

He nodded, "I have no service."

I thought about that for a moment, "I thought emergency services were available no matter what was happening with your phone and what not?"

He huffed, "and how the hell am I supposed to call for help when I have no service? Are you that dense?" I flinched and then growled at him. I was just trying to figure things out, asshole.

"Knock it off, you two, I don't have the patience for this." Shura knocked me upside the head and I grumbled under my breath, cussing as my vision tilted for a few moments.

"Can we use the car battery? I could charge my phone and use the service I have." I sighed in relief at Izumo's words.

I heard footsteps walk away from us and a clicking noise followed soon after. "I'm afraid not," my brother's voice echoed from the darkness. "The battery most have been damaged in the crash." There was a collective groan amongst us and Bon spoke up.

"There's got to be something we can do!"

I pushed myself up, stumbling to my feet and clutching onto Shura to keep from falling, "careful where you put your hands, kid." I flinched and let go over her, swaying slightly, but staying upright for the most part. "We should check on the main road, maybe someone will pass by." A few of my classmates agreed and Shura sighed, "we're gonna need your flashlight, Bon."

He grumbled and went to flip on the light once more, but Yukio called from the van. "Don't waste your battery," a dull light hit the ground near us, and grew slightly brighter as Yukio approached us. "There was a flashlight in the glove compartment." The dim illumination shifted and pointed down at the slender road we were on. My brother's shoes crunched on the gravel and the rest of us followed behind. None of us spoke for a few minutes, but worry was eating at me.

I limped behind everyone as we walked, "is it really okay if we leave Shima behind like that?" The teen was still knocked out cold, which was worrisome, but it's not like we could drag him everywhere we went. "Maybe someone should've stayed? What if there's a predator?" I swallowed hard at the thought and Bon sighed in frustration.

"What good would it be to have someone there with him? If there's a predator, they'd only eat them both. You really are a dumbass, you know that? If you're that worried about him, you go and chitchat. You're just dragging us down by following us." I flinched at his tone and sighed, stopping in my tracks.

"Fine, I'll go back. You guys go find help." I turned on my heels and headed in the opposite direction back to the van.

There was a loud smack and Bon grunted behind me, "Rin, come back, we are just fine with you with us. It's not like we are on a time crunch," Shura called. I just huffed and continued on my way.

It was fairly dark and the only illumination I got was from the stars and moon overhead. I struggled to rationalize if I was going the right way, but I basically tripped over my answer. "Aw shit, dude. I didn't mean to do that." I was met with silence and I sighed, running my hand through my hair. My fingers got caught in a clump and I had to rip my hand out of the mess. I was left with sticky fingers, and upon closer inspection, I realized that there was dried blood in my hair. "How messed up am I?"

My words were met with more silence, the sounds of the wilderness around me the only thing reminding me of my sanity. I flopped back and laid on the ground, staring at the starry night sky above me. Man, this situation was bad, and we've been in some pretty bad situations before. The possible ending of cities seemed less dramatic than this. At least then, we could save some people, save ourselves. However, now, we were alone, and no one knew we were in trouble.