Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

          Renne tilted her head back against the head rest to let out a groan, followed by a chuckle. "They hated each other. What led them to decide to get married?" 

          "It's an ironic story, actually. They acted like they hated each other, but everyone could see through it and we all told them that they would get married one day. Despite their constant arguing and denial of feelings, the night that Riot and Cruiser's foal was born, something just clicked in Mallory and Doug, and he proposed right then and there. It must have been something to do with them havin' to work together while the foal was born. The rest is history."

           "Wait, Riot and Cruiser had a foal? Doug proposed right then and there, without them even dating first?!" Renne was surprised by the news. "Why is this the first I have heard of it?" She asked, not upset, but surprised. 

           "Yeah, Riot got out into the pasture one day and she wound up pregnant. After the first foal was born and we saw how great it was, we decided to breed them. They have four foals together now. We froze some of Cruiser's semen, too. All of the foals are at one of my buddies ranch." Taking in a breath, Swayde answered Renne's second question. "Doug and Mallory had gone on a couple dates, but nothing super serious. Their engagement was extremely short; I mean like two or three months, and then they got married. Now, they're inseperable." Swayde paused to smile at Renne. "It's crazy how when two people love each other, they always find their way back to each other." 

         Renne held Swayde's gaze. For the first time since she had been back, she had wondered if Swayde was actually referring to her relationship with Matt, instead of her old relationship with Swayde. She couldn't be sure either way, and before she could make a decision, Swayde changed the subject to another funny story from when they were kids. 

          Renne and Swayde got out of the truck, laughing, once they were at Mamaw's house. She appreciated Swayde's gesture today. "I'll walk you up to the house." Swayde said after they stood in front of the truck awkwardly for a few seconds. 

          Once on the porch, Renne pulled Swayde into a tight hug. "Thank you so much for gettin' my mind off of Mal momentarily. I really appreciate it." She smiled, pulling back to look him in the eye, telling him she was sincere. 

          "Anytime, Reg. Glad I could help." Swayde smiled at her, his arms still around her waist. 

         Before Swayde and Renne could fully pull back, Matt walked out of Mamaw's house. Swayde was the first to see him walk out. Dropping his arms quickly from Renne's waist, Swayde greeted Matt before telling Renne he would see her later. Tipping his hat before he walked off the porch, Swayde gave Renne an indecipherable look. 

         Once Swayde was in his truck, Renne turned to Matt, giving him a kiss on the cheek, followed by a fake smile as she walked inside. 

         "Y'all looked pretty cozy out here." Matt's voice was cold as he commented from the porch. 

         Renne turned on her heels to walk back onto the porch. "Matt, don't, please. Swayde and I are just friends, you know that. Him and I have been friends our entire lives." 

          "Where did y'all go? I don't recall gettin' a text from you." Matt stood with his thumbs in his pockets. 

          "We went to see my sister, but Doug said it wasn't a good time, so we came straight back here." Renne replied.

           "Okay." Matt let out a sigh, turning to walk off the porch. 

           "Now where are you going?" Renne asked, calling after Matt. 

         "I have some errands to run. I'll be back later." Matt slid into his truck, leaving without a proper goodbye. 

         With an eye roll, Renne walked back inside the house, kicking off her boots in the entry way before heading upstairs. Once in her bedroom, Renne flopped down face first onto her bed, stuffing a pillow under her head, to prop it up. Turning on her side, Renne looked at the picture on her bedside table. It was one of her and Matt...the one she used to have in her truck on the dashboard. 

        Grabbing the photo and frame off the table top, Renne took in a deep breath as she stared at the picture.This was real life, no longer high school or college drama, it was time she got her act together. Just then, something shiny caught Renne's eyes, looking at the hand that was holding the photo. Perched naturally on her left hand was the engagement ring that Matt gave her. She was 24 years old, and engaged. Engaged...it was at that exact moment that it hit Renne. After a long, hard journey, she was engaged, engaged to be married...to Matt. The last guy she ever thought she would be marrying.