Chapter 45: Wait & Remember

I had thought to follow everyone back inside the main hall. Instead, Feng lead me to the opposite direction, further away from the banquet hall. When he had me alone in an empty corridor, he waved off the few servants and guards before turning to me. Seeing his dark eyes on me, I couldn't help blush softly.

"I won't see you off when you leave the capital... I will be heading to Tian Province tomorrow." Feng cupped my cheeks and lifted my head to look up into his face.

Hearing this, I couldn't hide my disappointment. He's leaving already. I had thought we had more time before I left.

"You can only blame yourself Lan" He said cruelly even though his voice and eyes were so gentle. "Remember, it is you who wanted 2 years between us"

When he saw that I was biting my bottom lip, he placed his thumb over it and stroke it tenderly as if to comfort me.

"If I find out in these 2 years that you have been unfaithful to me, I will slaughter him... I'll destroy the Fa Family if they fail to guard you properly" He continued scarily calm. "Fa Wei Lan, don't forget who you belong to"

Unable to control my heart, I reached out and wrapped my arms around his waist, clutching at his back, pressing my cheek against his chest - his heart.

"2 years is short... 2 years is long" I said softly.

Feng wrapped his arms around, holding onto me tight as I let the tears fall.

"Wang Feng does not have to wait... Wei Lan will wait..."

Feng with his arms around my waist and easily lifted me up as he bent his head down, taking my lips in a furious kiss. It was not soft. It was not gentle. He wanted me to remember it well.

"Lan" Feng let go of my wet lips, now bruised from his kiss. "Wei Lan does not have to cry... Wang Feng will wait..."

Lifting my hand to touch his cheek, his face – I wanted to remember him, engraved him in my heart. A man who I just met days ago. A man who did not belong to me in my past life. This man who will belong to someone else in 2 years. I will never hate him even after he finds her. Because these past few days, he had made me realize that I can still love – that there is someone who will want and treasure me. Even if in the end, that person isn't Wang Feng, I believe there would be someone else. I don't have to be scared of being alone.

On the day of the departure.

"Mei-mei, how are you feeling?"

We are heaving the capital and now heading back to Jing Province. Riding on Yun, I hadn't said much since we left the capital.

"Min-ge, Wei Lan is well... Do not worry"

"How can I not worry?" He sighed softly and put his hand on top of my head, rubbing it gently. "What should Min-ge do so that mei-mei will smile again?"

I fought hard not to smile.

"Min-ge is willing to do anything?" I asked softly.

"Of course"

"Then... Wei Lan would like to play Go with Min-ge"

Min immediately stopped his horse. I stop Yun as well as but didn't turn back to look at him. I didn't have to look to know he was distraught. When I couldn't take it anymore, I burst out laughing.

"You brat, you're dare to trick your ge-ge"

"Min-ge, why are you so scared of Go?"

"You're merciless"

"Min-ge, I'm actually quite merciful... actually, because Min-ge is Wei Lan ge-ge that she has to play so merciful"

"You brat!"

I took off with Yun, laughing as Min chased after with his horse. With the opened field ahead, Yun and I were able to run free and feel the cool breeze. I didn't look back at the capital – only straight ahead with a smile on my face. There was no need to be sad. 2 years will come and go. I, Fa Wei Lan, in 2 years will be the same and different.

It doesn't matter if Wang Feng couldn't wait. It doesn't matter if I couldn't wait. It doesn't matter if Wang Feng forgets. It only matters that I would always remember the moment where I felt happy because of his intense and sincere feelings for me. Even if the promise is forgotten and broken, I will still have a future. The future is endless. I have died once without one. In this life time, I will not waste it. I will live each day however I want.

"Wei Lan!"

I heard my name called from distant. I laughed as Yun went faster. Standing up on the stirrups, I parted my arms like wings and felt the wind breeze through my face. I never felt so liberated. Laughing, I could hear and feel Yun happiness as well – to be able to run freely without any care or worries for the world.

END of Volume 1 Rebirth of Fa Wei Lan