Chapter 1. Croquembouche.

Start from the beginning

A pout begins to form on my face as I transfer the pastry mix to the beater. "I'm sorry, this is just our first big order to fill and I wanted to make sure I had time to remake anything just in case I messed it up."

She lifts up her coffee mug, inhales deeply and takes a sip all while staring at me. I'm not sure how people drink coffee almost immediately. It is so hot, doesn't that hurt their tongue? I'm waiting for the small speech in taking care of myself, according to everyone I have a bad habit of working myself too hard. Then I realize, she's my best friend not my mother who also works with us and should be here soon. "If your mom finds out, it isn't my fault."

"Yes, it will be."

We both laugh together before she gets to work and I focus back in on the task at hand. All the while we're talking and gossiping about random things in our lives. Well, her life. My life consists of my bakery, 'Sweetie Pies'. She went on another failed date last night, which isn't surprising. She blames her taste in men on 'daddy issues', she's never met him and she never will apparently.

It isn't too long until my mom comes to open up the shop and help customers. I love helping customers, but my mother's smile is second to none. She's gorgeous even in her fifties, with long honey colored hair and eyes to match, it isn't too difficult a decision for her to help customers. Which is why, she's coming with me to make the delivery tonight and gather payment – I always hated that part. But, as a former lawyer, she handles any awkward situations flawlessly.

Deciding to take a small break and check on the front, a smile makes its way on my lips when I see the faces of satisfied customers. My mom is placing orders and taking care of each person without a hitch and there are only a few tables that need bussed. Taking the initiative, I move around the glass displays and towards the various tables. The smile on my face widens as I take in the bright colors of the tables, oranges, purples and pinks standing at various heights with bright white chairs surrounding them.

The entirety of my shop is painted in a light grey. The only wall that is different is the largest one in the very back of my bakery, it has vertical light pink stripes all of which have varying thickness. My favorite part of that wall are the words 'Sweetie Pies' in cursive with the same color pink. This place was my haven and I poured everything I had into it, sweat, tears, time and money. 'Sweetie Pies' is my dream.

Once I get back to work on the party order for myself and my mother to deliver tonight, I become lost in my work and almost miss the phone ringing. In fact, if Maya didn't pull me out of my head then I absolutely would have. Dusting my hands off on my apron, I rush towards the landline. "Sweetie Pies, this is Riley. How can I help you?"

"Good Afternoon, Riley! This is Isadora Smackle."

My eyes widen. This was the woman who placed the large order for tonight, she was super nice but incredibly vague in the details of the party. I basically had to guess that this was for a birthday party, and even then this is a lot of sweets for a birthday party. "Yes ma'am. I remember."

"Great! I just wanted to call and confirm that everything is going as planned and we intend to see you at five o'clock this evening?"

A sigh escapes my lips once I see it is only two. "Yes! My assistant and I are putting the finishing touches on a few items before we load them into our refrigerated van."

I can hear a smile forming on her face, it makes me feel good that I was able to ease some stress. "Great! And please wear all black for serving tonight."

What? "Serving." Maya immediately flips her focus towards me with wide eyes. "Yes, serving?" My tone is still questioning, this is the first I've heard of this.