Luc noticeably winced but did well at hiding it. He clenched his jaw and turned away from her, the tension clear in his shoulders, as he leaned back and stared at the sky. "We made a deal. I would return to the Crown if I could have my choice of wife. My father is ill but unfortunately dying slowly. He knows Evander is completely unfit to rule. He's too boyish and innocent. He'd rule with his heart and not his mind. And Hesman, well.....he might be two years old than me but he's still a bastard, in more ways than one." he let out a dry laugh. "My father knew from the moment I was born that I was fit to rule. So we made a deal. I could have any wife I wanted so long as I carried out my end of the bargain."

Vivia considered this in silence. "It seems so unfair you had to make a deal in order to marry the woman you love."

He slid across the bench and rested his head on her shoulder. "Completely worth it."

She touched the side of his face. "Luc? Does this mean I'll have to have some sort of...training? To act like an actual princess?"

"Oh, of course! I forgot to mention that to you. I'd like for you to have the best education in all of Novena, better than any man to have ever lived. You'll have endless tutors and libraries at your disposal. We have a few physicians in the infirmary, I presume it's where you'll be spending most of your time." he smiled. "I'll have you meet you etiquette teacher in a few days and after that, there are many legal proceedings before we can be wed."

"Legal proceedings?"

He nodded. "What's between us is a morganatic marriage, meaning two people of completely different social rankings. If it stays that way, our children won't be able to inherit any of my titles, wealth, or lands because the marriage is unequal in the eyes of the Law and the Gods. I'll need to go through the legal process of making you a noble, granting you titles and lands you may own in your own right until you can be legally elevated to a status befitting a Crown Prince. That way a marriage between us will be equal and nothing will stand in the way of our children one day inheriting the Crown."

She swallowed. "It sounds like many technicalities I'd rather you take care of."

Luc opened his mouth to say something us but stopped. He sat up and faced her, a strange expression on his face. "Would you like to have children?"

She blinked at him. "What?"

"I only meant to ask you because I've made the mistake of assuming you wanted them. I do not want you to fall victim of the gender inequalities in this kingdom--you are not my property and not a tool for childbearing. You are your own person. It's why it's so important to me that you rule as Queen Regent, not the King's wife or Queen Consort. I want your title to be equal to mine." He went on. "And if you don't want children, I'll not force it upon you. I could always train Evander and any children he was for the throne. I also many cousins that would come in life after me so it isn't a big deal--"

She silenced him by putting a finger on his lips. "Please stop rambling, you're giving me a headache." she smiled and kissed his cheek. "I would like to have children. I always knew I wanted a daughter so that I could raise her alongside whatever children Agna had. So they could be sisters, the way we are. I hope that answers your question."

"I would like a small army of children." he considered. "I always imagined us leaving the palace single file the way we do during training; I'd take them all to the beach so I could watch them annihilate each other in a fierce came of sand ball."

She nodded slowly, patting his head. "We shall see."

*

*

*

Just a few more finals left. Pray for me!

QOTC: Who is your number on fictional boyfriend?

AOTC: William Herondale and I've literally fought people over this. I use Herondale as my last day on social media so much that people have actually thought it was my real last name.

XOXO Lilly