Chapter 22- In The Land of Monsters

Start from the beginning

                “No, it can be a guy’s name too,” he retorts through clenched teeth.

                “Are you sure?” I say slowly.

                “Yes,” he snaps before roughly unhanding me, letting my hand drop to my side. Well, so much for southern hospitality. Drew gives me a flat look but the lighter shade of his blue eyes tell me he finds my actions amusing. I wonder why the hell he’s not freaking out or going Rambo on these mofos.

                “So my dad is sending his monkeys out to get me?” Drew draws out slowly and carelessly. I don’t know buddy, I just don’t fee like this has Daddy Collins written all over it.         

                “No, I haven’t even seen your father in ages,” Kai smiles, his gaze taking on a dazed look as if he’s recalling some sort of old memory.

                “Then who?” I question.

                “Sadly, in this business silence means everything even your own life, so I cannot tell you. But you, you know who he is you’re just blinded by anger towards your dad,” Kai points towards Dew thoughtfully. You better get to thinking Drew and start being happy.

                “Why aren’t you doing something, Drew? Shouldn’t you have some sort of weapon on you?” I hiss towards him. Those blue eyes turn to me with a smirk on their face. Something tells me he’s got something up his sleeve. I just about die with a serious case of swooning when he bites his lower lip mischievously.

                “Look, I like you kid, I do but my life’s worth more to me than yours,” Kai states after a moment. Oh, so this is some ‘survival of the fittest’ type of shit, every man for himself.

                “What makes you think I won’t get to you first?” Drew bites back cockily.

                “You’re kidding right?” Kai looks at us before choking out a jovial laugh.

                “No, I don’t kid. I’m not fond of jokes,” I jump at the sudden deep voice that comes from an unseen corner of the room. That voice could kill someone in their sleep, used for torture purposes, etc. I give Drew a questioning look but he merely shrugs in response. I think I’m going crazy because I’m pretty sure that was Adrian’s voice.

                “What the hell,” Kai mutters under his breath along with a string of profanities before removing a gun out of his jacket. Okay, I’m just going to do some Lana Del Rey’s Gods and Monsters type of thing, which music in my head sounds like the perfect background. No one’s gonna take my soul away, I’m living like Jim Morrison…

                “Why is your head moving like that?” Drew hisses. This guy doesn’t understand that I love that old time rock and roll, however relevant that is right now. That is the moment in time when a loud ‘whoosh’ sound is heard and Kai falls to the ground by our feet, a dart sticking out of his shoulder blade.

                “Good shot,” Drew calls out, right before Adrian jumps out from behind a bookcase in the room. Some type of dart gun in his hands with a smirk on his face.               

                “You thought so,” it’s so obvious this is going to go to his head.

                “How did you find us?” I question in awe. I mean, it’s not possible for Adrian to be able to know everything so how did this happen?