Chapter 12: Burning House

Long after the sun had set and a blanket of darkness covered us, did either of us speak again.

"Olivia?" Grayson asked in a whisper

"Yeah?" I replied

"I'm sorry." He said

"For what?" I asked lifting my head from his shoulder

"I'm sorry for drawing you closer to me when I know that we can't be together." He said with regret in his voice

"What are you talking about?" I asked

"I should've pushed myself away when I first started feeling something for you, but I didn't and I'm sorry because now it is even harder to let you go." Grayson said

"What do you mean let me go? Grayson, I'm confused." I said bewildered

"We can't be together. You being with me would put you in too much danger that even I wouldn't be able to protect you from." He said

"What do you mean danger? You aren't going to hurt me Grayson." I said

"I'm not the only one of my kind." He said staring intently at his intertwined hands

I was speechless. How could this boy come into my life so easily, only to be taken out of it even quicker? I didn't say a word the entire ride home to Grayson. What can I say? I was furious at him. He had just told me a secret that not another living soul knows, he kissed me and made me feel safe, and now he was just shoving me aside.

After about 10 minutes we pulled up silently in front of my house.

"Olivia, I am so sorry." He said

"Would you just quit apologizing? It is getting pretty annoying." I said in annoyance

"You don't understand now, but this is better." He said

"Better for you or for me?" I asked

Grayson was silent.

"I still care about you, I just don't see how we can be together now." He said

"Well, if you really cared about me, you would find a way. Shutting me out of your life once I have actually started to care about you too kills me. You can't just shut me out that easily." I said

I hadn't noticed the steady stream of tears running down my face, until he looked at me with the same tears in his eyes.

"I'm sorry." He said

I couldn't take it anymore. I jumped out of the car and slammed the door shut, walking up to my front door. I didn't turn around and ran directly up to my room. I collapsed on my bed and soon cried myself to sleep. I had for the third time, a dream in which I couldn't fully decipher, but a dream all the same.

I walked through the woods on bare feet. I recognized these woods, although I couldn't put a finger on where. I continued walking down the structured path. I looked down as I kicked a pebble. The ground I stood on soon began to be covered in black dust. I looked up from the pebble that I had just kicked to see the air swarming with ash. Ash, as dense as the ground I walked on. My heart rate quickened as I realized the source of the ash. I started running, my feet forming small cuts where I ran over a broken twig or a sharp rock. I stopped dead in my tracks as the sight before me was almost enough to make me faint right on sight. I stared up at the beautiful house, completely engulfed in bright, hot, flames. The wood was burning creating the perfect bonfire. I immediately recognized this house as Grayson's. Grayson! I started to panic thinking that he could still be in there...where was he?

"Grayson!" I yelled, but my voice seemed to evaporate as soon as it left my mouth

"Grayson!" I tried again, with the same response

I started crying as I sank down in a crumpled heap on the wooded ground. All I could hear were my sobs and the fire crackling with every wood panel it brought down.

"He's gone, he's really gone." I thought to myself

"Grayson." I whispered in between sobs

I shot straight up in bed the whisper of Grayson's name still on my lips. I breathed heavily as I looked around me. The dream felt so real, I continued whispering "Grayson" as I looked frantically around my room. I remembered talking about how Grayson would sometimes sneak in my room at night to make sure I was safe and I hoped against all hope that he was there tonight, to save me from this nightmare. Reality slapped me in the face as I came to terms that he was in fact, not there. I turned to my nightstand where a single book, my leather bound journal, lay. I picked it up and took out a pen. I had started to write all of my dreams in there since they were all so bizarre and unexplainable. I turned to the last page that I had written on and noticed something strange. The feather that I had found earlier that week was attached to the page with the words "trust me" written in careful cursive on the side of the page. I knew for sure that this was not my work, and my heart ached when I realized it was the work of Grayson. This reminder of him made it even harder to get back to sleep that night, but after hours of thinking about him, I finally fell into a deep, uninterrupted sleep.

_________________

Wow, I can't even believe people are reading my story! If you like it make sure you vote for it! or I mean if you don't like it you should still vote for it. Thanks to everyone! <3