Chapter 5: Savior

"Is she ok?"
"Oh my gosh how could this happen?"
     I could hear muffled voices all around me. I recognized them as that of my friends, but I couldn't find the strength to even open my eyes.
"Just go! You have done enough! I am going to take her to the hospital!" Grayson said
     Grayson? Grayson! I heard him yell this to my friends and the next thing I hear is a car starting up and driving away. I can't breathe. I cough trying desperately to rid my lungs of the saltwater that filled them. I opened my eyes as I inhaled my first breath of air. Grayson turned his head toward me and let out a sigh of relief. I tried to sit up, but I couldn't find the strength and the next thing I know I am falling back down. Grayson quickly placed his hand behind my head, protecting it from the fall.
"Olivia, it's ok , it's me, it's Grayson. I am going to take you to the hospital now. Don't worry you are safe now." He said calmly
"No, no I'm fine, I don't need to go to the hospital." I said
"Nonsense, you have a huge cut on your face you need to go to the hospital." He said
     Before I could argue with him he scooped me up easily in his arms and started walking in the direction of his car. It started I lightly drizzle and I shivered as I moved closer to his chest. I could sense a small smile from Grayson and if made me happy. He opens the car door with one hand and I wonder to myself how he is that strong as to be able to carry me that easily. He sets me down in the passenger seat and reaches over across me to the driver's seat. He picks up a sweatshirt and helps me put it over my head being careful of my cut. He then closes the door and walks around to get in the car. I take this time to touch my face, where the cut is. I pull my hand away and notice a substantial amount of blood on my fingertips and I moan. Grayson hops into the passenger side, closes the door, and looks at me.
"What?" I ask
"Nothing." He says before looking down and putting the car in reverse.
     We drive away and towards the hospital. I looked at him, wondering if I should ask the questions that were plaguing my mind. I decided against it and looked down at my lap.
"What is it?" Grayson asked
     I was taken by surprise; I didn't realize that he saw me looking at him. I looked back up at him and bit my lip before answering.
"Um... It's just, how did you find me?" I asked
"I was already at the beach, don't you remember seeing me? Wow, you must have hit your head hard." Grayson said
"No, I didn't and you weren't there, I remember. You seem to know where I am all of the time and when I'm in danger, how do you do that?" I asked
"I guess I'm just always in the right place at the right time, purely coincidence I guess." Grayson said
     I laughed at how absurd that was. No, I am certain that it was not a coincidence.
"No Grayson, it was not a coincidence! You saving me from the clown, now from drowning, how do you do that? You even warned me that I shouldn't go to the beach today or something bad would happen, and it did, how did you know?" I asked irritated
     He simply shook his head slightly and pulled into a parking spot at the hospital.
"God Grayson! Why won't you tell me anything?" I asked working myself up
"Hey, calm down you have a terrible cut you are going to make it worse." Grayson said
     He jumped out of the truck and ran to my side of the car. He offered me his hand to help me step down from the truck and when I was safely on the ground I assumed he would let me hand go, but he didn't. I looked down at our interlocked hands confused. He acted as if it was the most normal thing ever, to be holding my hand. He acted as if I hadn't spent the entire car ride here yelling at him. We got in the hospital and I had to get stitches. He continued to hold my hand up until I got back in the car. Grayson hopped into the driver's seat and started up the car.
"Be honest, how bad does it look?" I asked looking at him
"Really, it doesn't look bad at all, you can barely notice it." He said turning his attention back to the road.
     I pulled down the mirror in front of me and took a look at my face. There was a massive, jagged, scar running from the bottom of my ear to my chin. I started to tear up looking at my messed up face. I closed the mirror and looked out the side window embarrassed of my face.
"Hey, you can barely see it, you still look...beautiful." He said sounding embarrassed
     I sniffed and wiped my eyes dry. He sighed and turned the car fast into an abandoned parking lot.
"What are you doing?" I asked as he parked the car
     He turned to me and grabbed my chin, turning my face toward him so I was forced to look at him.
"Trust me, you still look beautiful." Grayson said
"Well, I don't feel it." I told him
     Grayson moved his hand from my chin to the back of my head and pulled me closer to him. He slowly kissed all the way along my cut until he reached the bottom of my chin. He pulled away, but stayed close to my face.
"How about now?" He asked
"Thank you." I said
"Can I take you home now?" He asked
"Yeah."
     I smiled to myself as he pulled out of the parking lot. We had been driving along the deserted road for about 2 minutes when I started to feel an intense burning sensation in my cut. It became so bad that I was screaming at the top of my lungs and clutching my face. Tears were streaming down my face as I begged for the pain to stop. Suddenly, as soon as the pain began, it subsided. I looked over at Grayson to see him driving as if nothin had just happened. I brought my hand up to where my cut was, but felt only smooth skin.
"What?" I asked breathlessly
     I pulled down the mirror again and was taken aback by what I saw. The cut on m cheek was completely gone, and in it's place, a thin line, barely even a scratch. I looked at Grayson with my mouth completely open.
"How on earth? Grayson, what just happened?" I asked
"What are you talking about?" Grayson asked
"My cut! It's completely gone! How did that happen?" I asked
"See, I told you it wasn't that bad in the first place." Grayson said
     Before I had time to ask more questions, we pulled up to my house. He put the car in park, but I wouldn't get out.
"I'm not leaving his car." I said stubbornly "not without an explanation."
     Grayson avoids eye contact and keeps his hands on the steering wheel.
"On top of everything, you were gone. You weren't at school almost the whole week and then you show up at the beach." I say
"We moved." He replies quietly
"What? Why didn't you tell me that? Was I such a terrible neighbor that you couldn't even bear living next to me?" I asked
     I waited for a reply, but was disappointed.
"You know, whatever, I'll see you at school Grayson." I said annoyed
"Just trust me." He said so quietly that I could barely catch it as I grabbed the door handle
"What?" I asked turning back to him
"Please, just trust me." He said as I caught a single tear run down his face
"I don't think I can do that Grayson." I said sadly as I opened the door and stepped down onto the wet pavement. I walked down the walkway and into my house door. I ran up the steps and into my room. I walked over to my window and drew back the blinds. I looked out into the gray, misty, world and to the house across the street that used to occupy Grayson's family. I was disappointed to see that Grayson was right, they did move away. I didn't have the energy to wonder why they would possibly move away and decided to just go to sleep. I climbed in my warm bed and immediately noticed that I was still wearing Grayson's sweatshirt. It smelled like him, so I cuddled it closer to me and soon fell asleep.