Chapter 10: Close Call

I hadn't gotten any sleep last night. The rain pounded relentlessly on the roof and sounded like a hailstorm. That's the excuse I told my parents for it being able to get any sleep, but in reality, it was because of him. I couldn't stop thinking about him no matter how hard I tried. It was a Saturday, which meant no school. I rolled out of bed and pulled a sweatshirt over my head. I looked at my reflection in the mirror, knotted hair from tossing and turning, bags under my eyes, and my ever lightening pale skin from not seeing the sun in weeks. I went over to my window and found the grey, wet world just where I had left it. It had finally stopped raining and I decided to take this rare opportunity to go for a walk. I had to clear my head, and that is the only way I could think of to do it. I threw in some jeans and kept my baggy sweatshirt on and walked outside into the crisp morning air. The world felt pure, like everything had been washed away by the rain and new life was born. I breathed in the clean air and started walking down the sidewalk.
     I don't know how long I had been walking for until I made it to the long one way road that led into town. It was relatively deserted for a Saturday morning seeing as I was the only one on the road. I didn't even notice the car approaching until it had pulled to a stop right next to me. The car was piled high with boys, which I could recognize went to my school. They were most likely seniors and when the first one spoke, his breath reeked of alcohol. I turned my head slightly away and stuffed my hands into the pocket of my sweatshirt.
"Hey there, pretty thing." The driver slurred as he stuck his head out of the black SUV
"Leave me alone." I said getting annoyed
"Oh well, someone's got an attitude. Come on, be a doll and get in the car. We are going into town, you seem like you need a ride." One of the boys in the back said
"No, thanks I'm good." I said turning my head away
"Just get in the car." The boy in the driver's seat said through gritted teeth
     I reached into my back pocket for my phone to dial 911 as the boy started getting out of the car. As I fumbled with my phone, he took a step closer and shut the car door. The next thing I know someone jumped in front of me and shoved the boy back against the car door, creating a large dent. He barely had time to jump in the car and drive off yelling to his friends before the boy in front of me hit the car again, this time creating an even larger dent.
     I stood there with my mouth open wide in shock, my phone I dialed in my hand while the boy who had saved me turned to face me. Grayson. I should've known. He reached over and placed his hand under my chin and closed my mouth.
"What did I say about getting yourself into danger?" He asked
"How did you do that? How did you know where I was?" I asked in disbelief
     He didn't answer, but I mean by now did I really expect him to answer any of my questions? Instead he simply took my hand in his and led me to his car. We both got in and he started driving.
"Where are we going? I asked
"I can't tell you everything here, we have to go somewhere where no one will hear us." He said
"You don't have to keep coming to the rescue Grayson. I can fend for myself." I said
"Really? And where would we be if I hadn't been there that night of the clown, or at the beach, or just now with those disgusting guys? God! I should've done so much worse to him." He said
"Um, no! No, you shouldn't have!" I said hearing him say such terrible things
"Olivia, if you could've heard what those guys were thinking..." he trailed off
"What they were thinking? Grayson, how do you know what they were thinking?" I asked
"I can only imagine." He said
     I was starting to get a little skeptical especially when he turned a sharp right and into the woods. He kept driving until we were concealed by thick trees in all sides of us in the middle of nowhere. He got out and so did I. He immediately grabbed my hand again and interlocked our fingers. He led me to a large rock and motioned for me to sit down. He paced back and forth in front of me, fiddling with his hands. I had butterflies in my stomach wondering what he had to tell me.
"I don't really know how to say what I have to say. I have never had to tell anyone what I am about to tell you and I don't know how you are going to take it." He said as he sighed and sat down next to me on the rock "but... I am going to try."