2

It's not what it seems, not what you think. No, I must be dreaming. It's only in my mind.

Than has a difficult time resting that night. He hears the whooshing wind whirl outside of his windows, and he can't help but feel terrified of the creeping darkness around his room.

Than can't remember a time that was as adrenaline rushing as now. His heart is bursting in flames, and his chest throbs in an unsteady beat. Every creak and groan from his old home startles Than, and with every slight noise, his breath unwillingly hitches.

"I'm a man." He sluggishly whispers to no one but himself. He grips his bed sheets with tight knuckles and attempts to burrow himself deeper underneath the covers. "I'm not scared of you."

Than's eyes suddenly begin shutting from his lack of sleep. His breathing grows heavier, and his mind fogs, the threatening images fading away in his head. For a man who claims to be an insomniac, he appears to be having a much easier time sleeping than he normally does this stormy night.

Except, it's not the dreamy process that frightens Than...
...it's the horrific aftermath.

Every night, for the past two years, Than has been haunted by an unfamiliar man. His eyes are constantly a deep, dark red, bleeding out waves of anger and rage. His hands are filthy and calloused, and their grips tauntingly wrap around Than's throat, withholding him from the precious oxygen he requires. The unknown man leans mockingly over Than's fragile body and delivers multiple kicks and punches to his bruised face.

Then, in the middle of it all, as Than's form is entirely shattered on the ground, he hears a woman's voice, in the distance, call out his name.

"Than."

...and he awakens.