The Attack

One Year Later After the Wedding...

Cinder cursed under her breath as she sprinted through the palace, her metal limbs each weighed a ton, but she had to get to Kai before she could stop running. People were gathering outside the palace. No, not people. Modified Lunar soldiers. They were true animals, much unlike Wolf, the soft cinnamon roll who was the loving husband of Scarlet and the father of three beautiful kids. No, these were angry, vicious, terrorist that were currently carrying out a well-planned attack on Cinder's home.

She was brought out of her thoughts when she saw him, and all of the fear she had in her mind settled, but just for a second. They were running towards each other, Kai could see the relieved look on her face and ran harder down the long hallway. He was running faster than a cheetah, at least, until Cinder heard an ear-racking gunshot and watched as her husband collapsed.

Cinder cried out with a heart-wrenching shriek, as she dropped down to the floor. She heard the blaring of an alarm, Torin had put the palace under lockdown. Cinder crawled down the hallway, he was only a few steps away now, but it felt like a million miles. When she finally got to him, blood was all over the floor, they had shot him in the thigh. A headache pounded hard on her temples, a sensation she felt since she could not cry. She felt his neck, his pulse was faint but it was there. She looked at the unhealthy amount of blood coming out of his leg. She felt the back, no exit wound.

Her retina scanner automatically pulled up information on how to treat it. Start with a tourniquet. She ripped off a piece of her elegant kimono, Iko would kill her for it but now she could not worry about that. She tied it tight at the top of his leg and he groaned.

"Kai?" She said, sweat dripping down her nose, "Kai, stay with me" she pleaded, "Please Kai, please don't die."

"Ci-..."

"Shh shhhhh, don't waste your strength."

"Cin...der.....I....love....yo-"

His words were cut off by the ringing of a port inside his pocket. Where are you!!!!!!, from Torin. She called him, "pick up. pick up. pick up."

"Kai? Where are you? Is everything oka-"

"Torin! We need you. Kai has been shot, we're on the East wing of the palace. please hurry!"

"Alright, we are on our way now."

Then the phone hung up. She cursed under her breath, praying to the stars that they would come as fast as they could. Kai could die any second. Fearing the worse, she checked his pulse again. Barely a flutter. She cursed again. sweat dripping onto her lashes.

Finally, when she thought it would never come, help arrived. Iko and Torin were running down the hallway. She thanked the stars one last time before Kai was rushed to the hospital wing.