CHAPTER FIVE

Jinwoo's condominium unit reminded Jisoo how much he was a bachelor, even if he was already in his thirties. Then again, handling his own company required him to be practically married to his work, leaving no room for romantic relationships to develop.

Monochromatic colors of black and white provided the image of his masculinity. Even his furniture, unlike theirs, weren't family-friendly. Sharp edges, glass tables, porcelain vases, and expensive ornaments decorated the place. Everything just screamed sleek and modern.

Jisoo dropped her duffel bag at his immaculately clean countertop, her brother following behind.

"If you need anything, tell me, okay?" Jinwoo said. "Just don't forget the passcode. Seriously, you're a forgetful one."

"Thank you so much for this, oppa."

"This is nothing," her brother replied as he took a glass and pressed it against the refrigerator's water dispenser. As he brought the glass up to his lips, he sent her a look. "Did you tell him already?"

"I still don't want to talk to him."

"You want me to?"

"I'm... I think that's not a good idea either."

Jinwoo nodded, understanding what she meant.

"Oppa, I'll cook dinner later. What time are you coming home?"

"Seven. Until then, rest. You look like you need it the most."

"Okay. Be careful on your way out," Jisoo mumbled as she lightly squeezed her brother's arm. "Love you."

After hearing him say a silent, "love you too," she entered the living room and sat cross-legged on the black, linen sofa. She was reaching out for the remote when Jinwoo sat at an adjacent armchair, loosely tugging his dark blue tie.

"Why are you still here? I thought you have a meeting to attend to?"

Her brother pursed his lips and leaned back, putting an arm over the headrest. "Honestly, I don't want to leave you alone. After well... everything."

Guilt washed over her. Her brother meant well, but it came off as if she was a burden. Ruefully, she nudged her brother's thigh with her foot.

"Go."

Jinwoo tipped his head to the side, his eyes unreadable. After a moment, he sighed.

"That meeting I was talking about, it's with your husband. I don't know if I can talk to him, after what you told me."

"There's a reason why I told you about that," she argued. "And it's not because I want you to get involved. This is between the two of us, and it'll only be between the two of us."

He shrugged. "I promised him, right? If he hurt my sister, he's going to regret it."

"That's what Jaewon oppa said."

"Works for the both of us."

"I can't believe I'm saying this," Jisoo rasped. "This is a marital problem, not fifth grade."

"If I were any other brother, he'd be beaten to a pulp already."

His sister frowned. "It's not going to be solved with brute force. In fact, you're only making it worse." She scooted close to the edge to pat her brother's knee. "I wish you'd marry already to understand."

Jinwoo blinked and just stared at her. Unnerved, she asked, "What?"

"You're defending him," he stated a matter-of-factly.

"What are you trying to say?"

"You've been arguing with me for the last five minutes. If you're still angry, you'd be cursing him in front of me. Have you forgiven him already, Jisoo?"