The New Prefect

Luna had spent her free period sitting under a tree by the black lake. She basked in the sun's welcoming glow - a force far more magical than anything else at Hogwarts in her humble opinion. She let it's radiance go right through her, filling her with a warmth she rarely got to feel recently. Things had been complicated at home now that her dad was in hiding, but she was proud of him. The Daily Prophet hadn't been brave enough to tell a lick of the truth about the war that waged beyond Hogwarts' enchanted walls, and she would stand by the Quibbler through thick and thin. She picked up this week's issue and began to read the first headline:

Potential Harry Potter Sighting? See page 3 for details.

She read on, excited to discover how her friends had been travelling while they were away.

Reports from an anonymous - yet reliable - source claim that Mr Harry Potter has been sighted in Ireland's west on the Cliffs of Moher. The source claims he was disguised by polyjuice potion as a regular muggle tourist, but he slipped out his wand on one occasion. Given that a man in Mr Potter's predicament would certainly feel obliged to disguise himself as such, it seems quite likely that he has indeed been sighted here in the United Kingdom. We're with you Harry, every step of the way!

She was exhilarated to know her friends were alive and probably well, but she knew Ginny would surely be even more ecstatic. Ginny liked Harry and Luna knew only too well that her heart was set on him, it had been that way since the first year.

"Alright everyone, books out!" Squeaked Professor Flitwick, "Today we will begin studying the Silencing Charm." Ginny and Neville were seated in the back row as usual, but couldn't help noticing Luna was missing.

"Miss Weasley, Mr Longbottom, have you any idea where Miss Lovegood might be?" Came Flitwick's mousey pitch.

"I haven't a clue, Professor," Neville responded, clearly concerned. Luna was never late for Charms, always excited to speak with Professor Flitwick about the latest news from the Quibbler. Flitwick had always been sceptical of her father's magazine, but in recent circumstances, he had to be faithful.

"Well we mustn't dwell on her absence, we have much to get through!" Flitwick waddled back up to the front of the room. As he went on about silencing charms, Ginny became more and more anxious about Luna. Five minutes passed; ten minutes passed; fifteen.

"Neville, I'm worried about Luna." She finally whispered.

"Don't worry Ginny. She's probably just wandering or something." He wasn't entirely convinced.

"We have to go and find her," Ginny blurted, "After last night, she could be really hurt!"

"I know you're anxious about her Ginny, but we're already here. How the hell are we going to find her?" He returned warily.

"Now it is very important to be careful whilst casting this spell," Flitwick squeaked louder to regain the pair's drifting attention, "If the spell is cast incorrectly, the subject will swell in size and make a deafening screech. Off we pop then, let's start practising amongst ourselves. Remember the incantation: Silencio."

"That's it!" Ginny whispered.

"What?"

"We screw up the spell to create a disturbance and head out while they can't hear us." She exclaimed, eyebrows raised and jaw open in earnest.

"Won't Flitwick realise we're gone?" Neville murmured. He wasn't nearly as exhilarated as Ginny.

"So what? At least we can get out." Neville's eyes drifted. It was mad, truly mad, but he knew what he had to do.