XIX

+[- what is a legacy? it's planting seeds in a garden you'll never get to see grow -]+

To love someone can mean many things. It can mean being utterly devoted to a single person, giving them your all no matter what the cost. It can mean simply caring about their welfare. But, most importantly, it can mean being willing to give up everything just to make sure someone else is safe. This kind of feeling can take years to develop, or can just appear in a matter of days. Jungkook's dedication to Y/N was infinite, even if he had only recently addressed his feelings toward her. From the start, he'd had an inkling to protect her. Just seeing her was all it took for his world to be flipped. He was happy to call her 'his'. 

Now, when it comes to losing someone loved, it can be hard. It's even harder to watch that person be shot. 

She wasn't dead -- she was still breathing -- but he was scared. For the first time in a while, he felt genuine fear. He didn't care that he himself had been shot in the arm; it wasn't important. The look of terror that had crossed her face before she passed out; the whimper that had escaped her lips as she went limp. It was all too much.

He knew she was seriously hurt. She'd been shot in the side, so that much was obvious. But his crazed mind wasn't letting him think straight as he scrambled closer to her.

"Y/N?! Y/N, open your eyes!"

He was shouting. Screaming. Fear was taking over his system and he was losing control.

The gunshots had stopped. Why was unclear, but it was lucky.

"Jungkook..."

He voice was weak, only just loud enough to be heard. Despite this, Jungkook was clinging on to every word as though his ice depended on it.

"Yes, Y/N?"

This time he was whispering, his shaky hands gripping at her shoulders and holding her close to his chest.

"That guy... The one that was gonna kill us..."

"Which guy?"

"The one that tied me up ages ago... You made him untie me..."

"I remember. What about him?"

Jungkook was fighting tears. If he was going to cry he didn't want anyone seeing. He didn't want to seem weak in front of anyone, let alone her. He needed to be strong. For her.

"I think it's him... He says he was coming back..."

All he could reply with was a slight hum. If he spoke he felt like his voice would fail him.

"He'll kill you if you stay here... Run..."

"I'm taking you with me."

"No, I'll slow you down... Just run, please. I don't want you to die too..."

"You're not going to die! I won't let you..."

With that last sentence, it all came flooding out. The emotions, the tears, the fear. Everything.

"I'm taking you to a hospital! You're going to be fine, and you won't die, and I'll be fine, and you ca- you can live your life..."

Looking at her, he noticed that her eyes had closed. A rush of fear spread through him, and for a second he thought that she had died. But she was breathing.

Picking her up quickly, he started running. It was his way of paying her back for ask that she'd done.

She'd loved him.
She'd been there for him.
She'd seen him as a human and forgiven him for him crimes.

Running through the night, cold air rushing past his tear-stained face, he thought of ever moment they'd spent together.

"Hold on, Y/N. You're going to be fine."

"Stop right there! Jeon Jungkook, stop or I will shoot you!"

He turned, reluctant to stop running.

He was face to face with a police officer.

"Another victim? How could you?"

"I- I didn't hurt her. I would nev- never hurt her. Pl- please help h-her."

"She's dead because of you."

The way he said it, with such loathing in his voice, made Jungkook snap. He was in edge.

"No! She means to much to me!"

Tears were still falling from his eyes as he turned to run, the hospital in sight. He was screaming to her someone's attention, but beige anyone could hear him the police officer kept his word.

He shot Jeon Jungkook.