twenty

Jasmine

After my conversation with Abel a couple of days ago, I'm trying to get better. Trying not to take drugs, trying to open up to him.

So far, it's working.

Abel's amazing - he sits there and listens to me, stops me from taking drugs anytime I go for it and he takes my mind off it by just talking about random things, like our past memories.

I don't push him away like I did for the past month.

Everything's amazing right now.

The only thing I'm scared of is being intimate with him and I think he's scared too because he never deepens the kiss.

"So I was thinking," Abel starts to say between a mouthful of noodles. "Do you want to move?"

I take a bite out of my own food. Abel's managed to get me to start eating again. He told me that he was worried about my health and made me look in the mirror to look at how thin I was. The image of my body scared me and I instantly went and ate anything I could find.

"As in out of this house?" I ask.

Abel stops chewing and looks at me. "As in out of Toronto," he answers.

I nod slowly. I do want to get out of both this house and Toronto - it just reminds me of all the things that have gone wrong in my life - Dre, Jamal, my mum.

"I just thought that you wouldn't want to stay here," Abel says quickly, as if going against his idea.

I shake my head. "No," I say. "I don't. I just . . . Yeah. Let's move. New beginnings and whatnot."

Abel smiles and leans over to take my hand, squeezing it lightly. "I love you," he says and I tell him that I love him too. He goes back to eating.

"Where would you want to move to?" I ask.

"Montreal?" Abel suggests. "Or if you'd rather, out of Canada as a whole. We could even go Los Angeles."

A smile creeps up on my face. "And you could start your music career," I tell him and he grins.

"Maybe," he replies.

"Speaking of which," I say, sitting my noodle box down. "Can you play something for me? Your voice is amazing."

Abel's smile gets bigger and I can see the colour filling his cheeks.

"Oh my God, you're blushing!" I squeal, laughing. I pinch his cheek lightly and kiss it.

Abel laughs too. He puts his noodle box down and wraps his arms around me, burying his head into my shoulder.

We stay in that embrace for a long time before he gets up and walks to the piano, carrying me with him.

I sit beside him, with my arm around his neck, waiting eagerly for that heavenly voice to leave his mouth.

Abel starts playing and singing and my body begins to relax against his as I listen.

Baby, It's just me and you
They couldn't see what I see in you
Cause I believe in you
You're the only one I choose