A Tearful Goodbye

This is my very first fanfic, but I hope you enjoy it!

This is not beta'd, so any mistakes are my own. Please feel free to point them out, and reviews will only help to feed my imagination!

Suggestions for future content are just as welcome.

This story can also be found on FanFiction.com under the same name and author.

"River, wait," the Doctor called to me as I neared the ramp which led to a room where I would be behind the Library, along with five other people.

"What, Sweetie?" I asked, wondering what my husband wanted to tell me.

"When you get to the Library," he began, unsure of what to say next. "The version of me you'll meet won't know who or what you are. He won't know any of our history together. It'll be my first time meeting you, ever. When you get there, my TARDIS will be parked in the atrium not far from where you land. First chance you get, I want you to come and send me some sort of message to give to your parents, or come get me and we'll go together. I think that they have a right to know what you're about to do, don't you?"

"I agree."

"Come on, Professor!" Mr. Lux called from the door.

"Be there in a moment!" I called back before turning back to the Doctor, who I could see now had tears in his eyes. "I have to go," I told him, turning to leave.

I had barely taken two steps when I heard my name being called once more by the man I had just stepped away from.

"I love you," he said, "and don't you ever forget that."

What he said took a minute to sink in, but when it did, I kissed him with all the force and passion I could muster, knowing full well that there was a very good chance it would be our last.

When we finally broke apart, both gasping for air, there were tears flowing fierce and unchecked down both our cheeks, but neither of us bothered to wipe them away as we embraced each other one last time.

After a few minutes of silently sobbing into each other's shoulders, I pulled away, kissed my husband one last time, and said, "I'll come back, and we'll go visit my parents together."

As I walked slowly to the door, keeping my eyes on the Doctor for as long as I possibly could, I heard him say, "Good. I was hoping that that was what you would decide."