1: You may not experiment with unicorn tears.

Start from the beginning

The Empress raised an eyebrow. "Did you or did you not instruct Laelynn to secretly pour one of your little mixtures into Lady Sicily's tea?"

Desmia glanced at Laelynn, one of two of her personal maids, who had begun trembling due to fear at being called out by the empress.

Damnit, Lynnie! Why are you always so easy to read?

Desmia sighed inwardly and turned back to the Empress. "Well, I did, but I promise you my intentions were noble! Lady Sicily always complained about getting headaches so I fixed her an elixir that would make them stop. I was only trying to help."

The corner of the Empress' lips twitched ever so slightly. "Your "help" nearly put her into a millennia long slumber."

"But the headaches went away, right?"

"She got headaches because of all the trouble you stirred up!"

Desmia blinked innocently. "Then isn't it fitting that I helped her?"

Aggravated by her youngest daughter's never-ending stream of retorts and refusal to admit her wrong-doings, the Empress waved her hand and suddenly ten more colossal books landed on top of the book Desmia was already carrying with a loud thump.

As Desmia staggered under the newly added weight, a servant entered the courtyard. "Announcing the arrival of the fourth prince!"

Desmia's eyes brightened. Fourth brother is finally here!

Behind the servant, a stunningly handsome man dressed in midnight blue robes appeared. Besides the fact that the man's black hair had a silvery tint when illuminated by the light and Desmia's had a purple-blue tint, with their matching violet eyes and delicate yet remarkable facial features, the man's physical appearance greatly resembled Desmia's.

The man performed a customary bow. "Your son greets you, mother."

The Empress held up her hand. "Save the formalities, Karia. I know you're here to plead on behalf of Desmia."

Karia's soft lips stretched in a smile, not at all fazed that his intentions were exposed. "Tenth sister has been kneeling for over four hours, mother. Don't you think that she has been punished for long enough?"

At the side, Desmia anxiously nodded her head in agreement. Yes! It has been long enough!

The Empress calmly took another sip of tea as she ignored her youngest daughter's obvious actions. "Raise your arms higher, Desmia."

At once, Desmia scrunched up her nose as she straightened her arms sulkily.

After silently resting her tea cup on the table the Empress revealed a stern expression to Karia. "Your tenth sister is only this unruly because your father, your siblings, and you, always spoil her."

Karia maintained his smile as he sat down next to his mother. "Tenth sister is the youngest of all of us so naturally we should be a little bit more lenient with her."

"Lenient? I am afraid we're already beyond lenient with your tenth sister. I'm sure you're aware of what transpired between Desmia and Lady Sicily?"